The National Food institute (DTU Food) invites applications for a position as Postdoc/Researcher. The position is available from 1 November 2010 or soon after, and for a period of 3 years.
The scientific focus is on the global emergence, spread and control of antimicrobial resistant and other foodborne / zoonotic pathogens.
The applicant will participate in the coordination of the European Union Reference Laboratory (EURL) and the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre (WHO CC) for Antimicrobial Resistance which includes a combination of research, training, and performing quality assurance testing (proficiency tests) within international networks e.g. EURL and WHO. Occasional travelling must also be expected.
The applicant will be affiliated to the Research group for Antimicrobial Resistance and Molecular Epidemiology with about 30 people engaged in research and consultancy regarding antimicrobial resistance and molecular epidemiology of food borne microorganisms.
The main responsibility of the applicant is to perform and communicate research within the area of antimicrobial resistance and molecular epidemiology in a national as well as global context and to coordinate international proficiency testing.
The research should focus on:
- International and national occurrence, characterisation, and spread of food borne / zoonotic bacteria as well as antimicrobial resistant bacteria of importance for human and animal health
- Development and evaluation of methods for detection of antimicrobial resistance
- Development, implementation and evaluation of global standards for monitoring, detection and characterisation of antimicrobial resistance
A key task of the applicant is to co-coordinate and further develop the already ongoing activities within external quality control, and capacity building as well as collaboration within existing networks such as those of the EURL, WHO CC and Global Foodborne Infections Network (GFN) in collaboration with other employees
The applicant should preferably hold a PhD in microbiology or epidemiology in a relevant area of foodborne infections, zoonosis, or antimicrobial resistance. The applicant should have an all-round experience based on a solid microbiological background including experience in epidemiology or vise versa. Additionally, experience with laboratory capacity building, quality assurance, and interdisciplinary knowledge of antimicrobial resistance, food borne pathogens, and molecular microbiology. Because of the global nature of the issue it is necessary that the applicant has international experience and has shown ability to work in collaboration with researchers at different levels in an international perspective.
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to:
- The ability to produce, present and utilize research results into reports, presentations and scientific articles
- Experience with microbiology, molecular typing and epidemiology
- Qualification within the assignment(s) that are associated with the position
- The ability to collaborate and coordinate reference activities
- The ability to attract funding to the research area
- An open-minded, outgoing, motivated, and enthusiastic personality
- The ability to interact and communicate with people of different professional and cultural background
- The ability to work in a multidisciplinary context / environment
- The ability to write and communicate orally in fluent English
- The ability to manage competing priorities.
- Scientific production and research potential at international level
- Innovative skills and the ability to generate new ideas
- An all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience
- The ability to contribute to development of the department’s internal and external cooperation
We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, public-sector consultancy and innovation, which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. The Technical University of Denmark (DTU) is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
Further information may be obtained from Rene Hendriksen, tel: +45 35 88 62 88.
We must have your online application by 5 September 2010. Please open the link "apply online" and fill in the application form and attach your application, CV and a list of publications. Applications should be submitted in English.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Apply for this job online