The Protein Expression Laboratory (PEL) creates expression constructs, expresses the encoded recombinant proteins in multiple expression systems, and purifies the recombinant proteins for use in a wide variety of applications from X-ray crystallography to drug screening to biochemical analysis. PEL clients are both internal (e.g. RAS program) and external (e.g. government and private labs).
The Research Associate II will independently carry out experiments, under the review of a scientist, in the area of recombinant protein production. This will include, but is not limited to, prokaryotic protein expression and protein purification from all expression materials. New assignments, program goals and objectives are reviewed with the laboratory supervisor and are carried out with little direct supervision. May be required to develop new assays or production methods. Will be responsible for completing projects independently and as part of a team. Senior Supervisor will consult with the Research Associate II on difficult and/or unusual problems. Responsible for timely updates of project progress to supervisor in both informal and formal report writing mode. Work may involve the use of potentially hazardous chemical, biological, or radiological materials or may be located in areas where such materials are used. May require the use of personal protective equipment and adhere to strict safety protocols.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in a field related to biomedical research or four (4) years equivalent experience in the appropriate field in lieu of degree.
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency.
- In addition to educational requirements, a minimum of five (5) years related biomedical experience.
- The successful candidate must have the ability to perform the following standard microbiological techniques: aseptic transfer, culture growth, purity assessment, isolation, transformation Lysis of bacterial cells by physical or chemical methods.
- The candidate must have knowledge of the following protein technologies: Expression/induction of recombinant proteins, SDS-PAGE, quantitation, western blotting. Experience working with Centrifugations (low, high, and ultra-speed), buffer preparation, and hand-held pipettes in volumes of 10-1000 microliters.
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
- Independent judgment and the ability to troubleshoot and alter protocols is also required.
- This position is subject to obtaining a Public Trust Clearance.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite 4 or higher.
- Fermentation (2-60 liter scale).
- Continuous flow centrifugation.
- Protein purification.
Leidos Biomedical Research Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, is accelerating the development of new technologies and treatments for patients with cancer and AIDS. Leidos Biomedical is the operations and technical support contractor for the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, a federal national laboratory.
Leidos Overview:Leidos is an applied solutions company focused on markets that are seeing converging business and technological trends, and address basic, enduring human needs: defense and national security, health and life sciences, and energy, engineering and infrastructure. The Company's approximately 20,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and commercial health and engineering markets.
Deadline: March 31, 2014