Postdoctoral Scientist - Single Molecule Imaging : London, United Kingdom
Single Molecule Imaging
This is a full-time, fixed term position for 4 years on Crick Terms and Conditions of Employment.
The Francis Crick institute (the Crick) is a partnership between the Medical Research Council (MRC), Cancer Research UK (CRUK), the Wellcome Trust, University College London (UCL), Imperial College London and Kings College London. It is a registered charity whose purpose is to conduct biomedical research into all aspects of human health and disease.
The institute will be a world-leading centre of biomedical research and innovation. It will promote connections between researchers and disciplines and between academic institutions, healthcare organisations and businesses. Dedicated to research excellence, the institute will have the scale, vision and expertise to tackle the most challenging scientific questions underpinning health and disease. It will be world-class with a strong national role—training scientists and developing ideas for public good. Due to open in November 2015, The Crick will be located in a new, purpose built research centre in central London (Brill Place next to St. Pancras International) and will house some 1,250 researchers and 250 support staff.
The Laboratory of Dr Hasan Yardimci has an opening for a postdoctoral scientist. The laboratory investigates the molecular mechanisms of eukaryotic DNA replication using biochemical and single molecule imaging methods.
Postdoctoral scientist will undertake a project aimed at understanding the molecular mechanisms underlying the eukaryotic replication machinery using an in vitro system of Xenopus egg extracts.
Specific objectives will include, but not be limited to:
• Identify, develop and apply experimental methods to achieve research goals.
• Present results at internal and external meetings
• Communicate results in the form of scientific publication
• Assist in the training of PhD and/or summer students
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: Bold, Imaginative, Open, Dynamic and Collegiate, in addition to the following:
• PhD degree from biochemistry, molecular biology, biophysics or a related field
• Excellent bench skills
• Experience in molecular cloning, protein expression and purification (bacteria/insect cells)
• Strong publication record
• High motivation, independent thinking and good communication skills
• Ability to work in team settings
• Experience in single molecule methods
• Previous research in DNA-protein interactions
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your CV and covering letter, explaining your motivation and suitability for this role including details of your current salary, to Hasan Yardimci via email@example.com and quoting ‘Postdoctoral Scientist – REF 227.’ in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is Friday 03 April 2015 at 5pm.
For any questions relating to this role, please contact either Hasan Yardimci, Head of Single Molecule Imaging via firstname.lastname@example.org or Nicola Texeira, Resourcing Advisor email@example.com