Location: Mölndal, Sweden
Salary: Competitive + excellent benefits (£k - £k for search optimisation only)
The next generation of medicines.
How will you take them even further?
At AstraZeneca, we’re constantly striving to make new discoveries. Discoveries that will make a meaningful difference to health globally. We already have an exceptional product pipeline, and everyone here has a part to play in making sure that pipeline fulfils its potential. This is your opportunity to join them – and to fulfil your own.
We have an exciting opportunity for you to embark on a research project that aims to explore the site and mechanism of action of a family of peptide receptor ligands that control metabolic, cardiovascular and other autonomic functions. Specifically, the chief objective is to acquire data that help explain where and how the ligands act to improve cardiometabolic status, as well as how they produce mechanism-related side effects, in diabetes and obesity. The current state of knowledge in this field is conflicting and the project will involve a novel set of experimental approaches that will allow firm conclusions to be drawn. While the current project will be limited to one group of selective ligands, the findings will be generally applicable to other targets and will therefore serve as a strong basis for further career pursuit. Most parts of the project will utilize in vivo methodology which will require well developed experimental and surgical skills. The appointee will interact with experts from several disciplines and acquire insights into mechanistic drug research.
Your major responsibilities
• To assess site and mode of action of drugs, you will:
o Learn, validate and apply advanced surgical lesioning methods
o Set up, validate and apply chemical lesions
o Apply focal CNS drug injections
o Evaluate the effect of these interventions on metabolic, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal and urogenital functions
• Interact and collaborate with scientists across internal functions as well as with external experts
• Publish scientific papers and attend conferences to communicate novel findings to the research community
• Receive advanced training to enhance professional skills and research independence; acquire in-depth understanding of the basic research and drug discovery fields to enable successful future career pursuit
A PhD in one of the following areas:
• Metabolic disease (diabetes, obesity)
• Integrative physiology/pharmacology
• Solid experience in in vivo studies
• Good surgical skills
• Strong insight into the principles of integrative physiology and pharmacology
• Ability to independently design, execute and critically interpret studies
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Collaborative and interactive personality
AstraZeneca – Health Connects Us All
As one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies, our business is focused on providing innovative, effective medicines that make a real difference in important areas of healthcare. What’s more, we support and encourage our people in discovering their own potential. Excellent learning and development opportunities will be available to you throughout your career here.
AstraZeneca welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP
Deadline: April 29th 2013