VIB is a non-profit research institute in life sciences. About 1,300 scientists conduct strategic basic research on the molecular mechanisms that are responsible for the functioning of the human body, plants, and microorganisms. Through a close partnership with four Flemish universities − UGent, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, and Vrije Universiteit Brussel − and a solid funding program, VIB unites the forces of 76 research groups in a single institute. The goal of the research is to extend the boundaries of our knowledge of life. Through its technology transfer activities, VIB translates research results into products for the benefit of consumers and patients and contributes to new economic activity. VIB develops and disseminates a wide range of scientifically substantiated information about all aspects of biotechnology. More information: www.vib.be
Prof. Dr. Geert Berx Unit Molecular and Cellular Oncology
Vakgroep Moleculaire Biologie (UGent), Prof. Dr. Johan Grooten
Department for Molecular Biomedical Research (VIB), Prof. Dr. Bart Lambrecht
Faculty of Sciences
Title of the project: EMT, immunity and inflammation: a malignant cocktail for cancer
We are looking for a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher for a project focusing on the interactions of malignant cancer cells with the innate and adaptive immune systems. In particular, this project seeks to gain insight into the molecular mechanisms of how cancer cells undergoing epithelial mesenchymal transition (EMT) cross talk with the tissue micro environment to drive the switch from a non-invasive lesion to metastasis. The ultimate goal is to take advantage of both genetic studies in cells and in vivo models to define new putative targets for cancer diagnosis and therapy.
You will be working together with other postdoctoral researchers, PhD students and a technician in the Unit Molecular and Cellular Oncology headed by Prof. G. Berx. You will have access to cutting edge technologies, including recombinant DNA, cell culture, gene and protein expression systems, RNAi technology, stem and cancer stem cell isolation, transgenic and knockout mice, and flow cytometry. The research unit consists of enthusiastic people working in the field of EMT and cancer progression.
- ?Ph.D. or M.D.
- Advanced experience with immunological and inflammatory models, cell biochemistry, protein and RNA analysis, mammalian cell culture and cell transfections, immunofluorescence
- Experience in immunity and inflammation research is an absolute requirement
- Good publication record, excellent writing and reporting skills
- Propensity to drive and focus to work at a highly competitive international level with full commitment to publish data
- 2 years contract, with possibility of prolongation
- Motivating scientific environment with a critical mass and several top core facilities (e.g. transgenic mouse core facility, SPF animal facility, microscopy and FACS analysis)
- Starting date: as form June 2013
Please apply via http://www.vib.be/en/jobs/Pages/Postdoc-Position-Molecular-and-Cellullar-Oncology.aspx
Deadline: August 10, 2013