Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
Purpose of the Position:
Define and manages a range of major projects and/or multiple projects that have high levels of complexity, multiple technologies, and financial investment. Project/s will typically have significant financial and /or strategic impact on the corporation. Manage and implement project resources of multiple field installation projects through the engagement of a flexible work force assigned from a pool of Field Engineers, Technicians, Trailblazers, Pioneers and Contractors (people, budgets, etc.) as necessary to support and meet overall business objectives. Appropriately balances business and other inputs to ensure project and company success.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Supervise and effectively manage multiple and broad ranges of projects to meet business goals and objectives
• Develop project plans that include: scope, objectives, charter, timeline and milestones, risk assessment, financial projections, performance measures, and communication and change management plans.
• Establish overall project plans (scope, schedule, cost estimates, project acceptance criteria, procurement/contracting strategy, risk management, etc.). Assist in project evaluation and justification. Work with the business in the preparation of Appropriation Requests (A/R).
• Effectively leads team to meet project deliverables.
• Collaborate with other process experts in other organizations
• Participate on cross functional teams
• Use scientific method to define problems, outline hypotheses, design critical experiments and use fundamental understanding to drive robust solutions.
• Communicate and document results
• Conduct qualitative and quantitative analyses using appropriate tools and techniques to understand opportunities and risks in SC
• Escalate decisions and unresolved issues to appropriate parties.
• Facilitate communication of project goals, objectives, key status information and overall impact of the project effectively with project team members, customers and key stakeholders.
• Partner with Strategic Sourcing to provide support to expedite cost savings opportunities
• Travel will be required to Corning Optical Fiber and Cable Manufacturing sites in North Carolina (Concord, Winston-Salem, and Hickory) and overseas sites in India, China, and Europe.
• Typical travel can range from a few days to a few weeks during the project initiation phase.
• During the deployment phase of the project, travel is nearly full-time. Deployment phases typically range from 3-9 months, but can extend to 1+ year.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• Standard work hours are M-F 8:00-5:00, however, overtime or shifted work hours is not uncommon and is indeed expected at times. The amount and duration will vary as a function of the job position, particular project, and point in the project life cycle.
• Minimum BS or MS in Chemical, Ceramic, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering, or Materials Science,
Required Years and Area of Experience:
• 3-7 years engineering experience with a background in Manufacturing process equipment.
• B.S. or M.S. Engineering or equivalent technical degree with 7+ years' work experience.
• Proven track record of global project accomplishments as a project lead with increasing scope, complexity, responsibility, impact, risk, etc.
• Track record of delivering results within cost and schedule with close and timely communications with the internal Customer.
• Track record of engineering accomplishment. Recognized as a technical leader / subject matter expert in one or more technical disciplines fully capable in related disciplines.
• Proficient in Project Management skills and methodologies inclusive of Scope Development, Scheduling, Cost & Budget Management, Quality Management, and Risk Management.
• Demonstrated ability to operate within matrix organization. Utilizes influence versus control. Can manage in the “gray” areas.
• Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills. Proficient in quality tools including Kepner - Tregoe, Performance Excellence, Project Management tools, etc.
• Computer/Information Technology Skills Desired. Basics - MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of MS Project or other Project scheduling tools.
• Results oriented with a high commitment level.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills across all levels of the organization. Must be an effective communicator, able to deliver message through presentations, written, and verbal messages.
• Conflict management – seeks win – win solutions. Calms down and resolves problems versus escalating.
• Knowledge/experience in glass forming process development and in particular optical fiber making
• Advanced, demonstrated problem solving skills
• Sound understanding of material properties, capabilities; application of understanding to work product
• Ability to effectively utilize problem-solving and decision making tools, e.g. PEx, K-T, etc.
• Portfolio management
• Experience working with Construction Management firms
• Variety of research, development, engineering, operational, and / or plant experiences.
• Project Team focused on single or multiple technical discipline of increased complexity.
• Prior supervisory / functional management experience.
• Possesses strong network with Corning global technical community and key external suppliers / partners.
• External recognition such as Green / Yellow / Black Belt, Lean, PMI, Professional
• Engineering or Committee member of a Technical society.
• Ability to manage needs across cross functional teams with a strong tie to Research and Early Stage Development and Manufacturing.
• Able to identify long term needs/goals and determine short term objectives to achieve
• Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Results orientation
• Negotiation, motivating and influencing skills
• Cross cultural sensitivity
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.