Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Scope of Position:
This is a technical leadership position for the bottom of the draw (BOD) technology development in CDT development group at S&T. The primary area of focus will be leading BOD technology development group to develop and transfer technologies to support CGT and other businesses relative to BOD ribbon stability, clean cut-off, sheet handling, particle & ADG reduction, cycle time reduction as well as packaging. This position has four direct reports.
A Non-Compete Agreement will be required for this position.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Identify and initiate BOD development projects based on business priorities, commercial technology and engineering alignments.
• Provide technical leadership in BOD process engineering, concept generation, equipment development, and manufacturing trials.
• Collaborate closely with counterparts at S&T, MT&E, CDT division engineering, commercial technology and manufacturing.
• Manage the technology transfer to division engineering and manufacturing.
• Develop and coach direct reports through 1:1s and job assignments. Develop BOD technology competency.
• Manage spending, IA (R-reports, invention disclosures) and safety in BOD development area.
Travel Requirements: 25% travel international or domestic is required
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40hr/week, with occasional evening conference calls
Required Education and Required Years and Area of Experience:
• MS or PhD in mechanical engineering or a related engineering field. Minimal 5years of required experience. Or
• BS in mechanical engineering or a related engineering field with more than 10 years of required experience.
• Strong technical leadership and project management skills in manufacturing technology development with proven track record.
• In-depth knowledge and experience in CDT manufacturing process, particularly in BOD area.
• Solid background and experience in mechanical design, process analysis, modeling, control (pneumatic and electric) and process measurements.
• Must have passion to drive technology from early stage development to manufacturing.
• Strong problem solving skills and can reduce complex problem into simple critical tasks.
• Ability to take manufacturing, engineering and commercial inputs and transfer them to technology development needs. Develop and propose development projects accordingly.
• Functional management experience.
• Effective presentation and technical writing skills.
• Effective in managing multiple priorities.
• Positive and can-do attitude.
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Good people skills. Ability to work with people from diverse cultural and technical background, particularly US and Asia; multilingual a plus.
• Good communication and presentation skills.
• Strong influencing skills.
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.