Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Scope of Position:
• Strategic Sourcing Manager supporting CSM-AO division. Leads the development and execution of Global Supply Management (GSM) sourcing strategies, policies, tactics and objectives for assigned complex global commodities that are linked with the business unit, commercial team, supply chain and manufacturing strategies.
• Responsible for assured supply of quality materials, equipment and service; effectively conducting Supplier Relationship management programs, quality audits, risk mitigation plans and low cost sourcing solutions.
• Responsible for developing commodity & supply strategies which will ensure the supply of quality material and continually drive for total lowest cost.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Lead and participate in cross-functional teams focused on process improvements, cost reduction and supply chain issue resolution
• Use formal supplier relationship management processes to work with customers and suppliers to get continuous improvement out of the supply chain
• Negotiation, execution and administration of contracts with suppliers
• Conducts negotiations with potential and / or current suppliers to obtain maximum value to the business
• Identify, qualify and lead transition projects of new and second source suppliers
• Manage a cost reduction portfolio of opportunities within multiple commodities
• Assure that the ethical practices of Corning Incorporated are upheld at all times
• Ensure that the proper safety requirements are planned for and implemented in Contracts and PO's
• Manage the supplier interface to assure that customer needs are met through collaborative problem-solving and negotiations to achieve the desired outcomes
• Understand and rigorously execute the processes outlined in the GSM Global Buying Policy. Ensures compliance.
• Resolution of issues between division supported and suppliers
• Develops and cultivates effective relationships with suppliers
Travel Requirements: 25% - 50% Domestic and 5% - 10% International travel
• Bachelor's degree - Engineering degree preferred. Supply Chain Management degree w/ at least 3 years of highly technical procurement experience will be considered.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
• 7 - 10 years in Engineering or Procurement roles.
• Knowledge and experience in procurement & engineering
• Technical understanding and curiosity
• Good negotiation skills
• Self-motivations, initiative
• Attention to detail in day to day work
• Strategic thinker
• Change embracer
• Ability to multitask, manage many changing priorities and be flexible
• Ability to work with engineering customers and sole source suppliers to achieve win-win outcomes
• Ability to look at the data and situation and make an informed decision using best judgment
• Project Management skills
• Ability to lead a team decision process
• Technical knowledge / experience within / of optical systems
• DMAIC project experience (green or black belt certification)
• International travel experience
• CPSM certification
• Ability to lead / work in a team environment
• Strong communication skills both written and oral
• Relationship building with customers and suppliers
• Customer focused
• Excellent Listening skills
• Open minded
• Uses common sense in decision making and problem solving
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.