Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
• Executes and develops a product line strategy that supports the achievement of desired product line sales growth and profitability as determined by the PLM.
• Take part in a cross-functional product team consisting of functional leads from Development, Product Engineering, Applications Engineering, Manufacturing, Marketing and/or Sales to:
• Develop and execute the product line planning process, including the identification of critical projects to be undertaken for the year
• Find the optimal solution (balancing the needs of Corning and the customer) to all product issues related to performance (i.e., specs, attributes, services), quality, share growth, customer needs (contract management)
• Understand downstream market requirements and assess competitive threats and implications for the business
• Create/manage short and long-term forecasts and coordinate with Sales & Marketing and Supply Chain
• Works with Program Management and Business Development to identify and create new products, as appropriate
• Supports the product line strategy and manages the product line through the stages of innovation, from product concept through commercialization and life-cycle management
• Oversee product line inventory by coordinating information flow, as needed, between Sales & Marketing, Supply Chain Management, and other parties
• Works with Manufacturing and Sales to identify opportunities to reduce complexity and cost reduction in the manufacturing process both at Corning’s plant(s) and the customer site, as appropriate
• Addresses new product/special requests by developing a business case (including P&L and balance sheet implications) to determine the feasibility and pricing requirements of the requests
• Works with PLM and the pricing team to optimize pricing levels by setting floor price, establishing pricing structure, optimizing product premiums, and ensuring value received for product line
• Works with Account Management to develop value propositions that improve margins for Corning’s products and services and enable new/enhanced selling opportunities with customers
• Manages the obsolescence process, as necessary, to extract maximum value through the end of the product’s lifecycle
• Communicates and implements product change notices with close coordination with the product team and the commercial team
Focus on Customers
• Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of current customer requirements and future opportunities
• Provides guidance and feedback on the approach to the customer.
• Ensures alignment of processes and technologies to achieve customer satisfaction.
• This role is a developmental role, moving toward Level 3 capabilities in Corning’s Global Leadership Model continuum.
• Travel: 10-25% mainly domestic
• Bachelor’s Degree – Business or Engineering. If applicant has a Business degree then they must have an aptitude for technical items from an applications standpoint.
• 3+ years of experience in research and development, commercial or PLM/similar role
• Demonstrated track record of leading cross-functional teams.
• In depth knowledge of Excel spreadsheets and MS Office in general
• 100% fluent in English, both written and oral
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and find solutions to a problem by consulting multiple experts/colleagues
• Communicate both in writing and verbally complex business and technical issues
• Demonstrated track record of managing projects.
• MBA or equivalent demonstrated experience (i.e., extensive experience in business)
• SAP knowledge
• Conversational knowledge of Spanish would be an advantage
• Work experience in Manufacturing or Fiber Optics would be ideal
• Financial analysis and accounting experience
• Experience in a similar business area is appreciated
• Participation in, or leadership of, multicultural and/or multi-geographic projects