Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
For almost three decades, Corning Environmental Technologies has developed creative, highly effective emission control solutions for mobile and stationary sources around the world. We joined the campaign for cleaner air in the early 1970s, when we developed high-performance, cost-effective cellular ceramic substrates for use in catalytic converters. Our invention has become the industry standard for more than 95% of today’s catalytic catalytic-converter equipped vehicles. Today, we hold more than 200 patents on emission-control products and processes used in gasoline, diesel and alternative-fuel vehicles, as well as stationary applications.
To know more about Corning Environmental Technologies, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/environmental_technologies.aspx
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group):
• Summer internship position supporting technology development and/or process improvement of Environmental Technologies products. Improve current test methods, develop new test methods, and communicate results to the process community within CET.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Utilize sound process engineering skills to improve current processes for CET
• Use the scientific method and develop tools to drive for fundamental understanding
• Work in a cross-functional environment: link between development, quality, commercial, and manufacturing to deliver the best possible solution
• Use of rigorous tools to deliver results including problem analysis, potential problem analysis, risk assessment, DMAIC methodology, innovation
• Experimental design to determine and optimize important process variability and product parameter
• Use engineer principles and data to solve problems, including production issues
• Ensure best practices are communicated, evaluated, and implemented
Projects Involved with:
• Process test development and analysis of results
• Fundamental understanding of various process responses
Travel Requirements (please note if international): Corning Valley
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Typically 8-5, but some off hours support required
Required Education (minimum required for consideration):
• Working toward BS in Ceramic, Chemical, Material, or Mechanical engineering
• Rising Junior or higher
Required Years and Area of Experience: (minimum required for consideration): 0-2 years
• Sound engineering background
• Use of scientific method to solve challenging problems
• Knowledge of materials processing
• Working knowledge of basic statistics and process engineering principles
• Communication skills, both written and oral
• Ability to use data to drive to solutions
• Strong drive to succeed and implement solutions
• Formal problem solving leadership skills
• Experience with Six Sigma DMAIC principles
• Teamwork in a multicultural environment
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Open and engaging to effectively interface with others
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Technical curiosity
• Team player
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled