Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning Life Sciences brings new and innovative laboratory tools to researchers. Our core technical competencies include polymer science, biochemistry and molecular biology, glass melting and forming, surface modification, and characterization science. As part of Corning Incorporated, we are a world leader in specialty glass and have a 150-year tradition of innovation.
We are committed to meeting customers’ unique and changing needs with original solutions for today’s emerging life sciences technologies. Our dedication to quality, technology and innovation has enabled us to produce the world’s most comprehensive line of laboratory tools for life science research. Corning Life Sciences also offers custom capabilities such as special packaging, bar coding, and printed lot numbers, to meet specific customer requirements.
To know more about Corning Life Sciences, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/life_sciences.aspx
Scope of Position:
• Support Corning Mold Development Engineering in the mission of providing our customers with world-class tooling for new product introductions, capacity upgrades, molding process improvements, global standardization, and cost reduction.
Major Roles and Responsibilities:
• Concept Development:
o Provide DFM part analysis, budgetary funding estimates, capacity utilization estimates, and materials consultation for new product introductions.
o Perform mold flow analysis utilizing Moldex3D simulation software, and summarize results into a presentation format.
o Evaluate final part designs, and determine the most cost effective mold design relative to manufacturing efficiency, machine capacity, maintenance requirements, and material utilization.
• Fabrication and Project Management:
o Interface with Project Management to evaluate supplier conceptual mold designs against internal mold development standards.
o Support on-site mold sampling at supplier to ensure initial performance meets the long term production objectives for in-house production.
• Qualification and New Mold On-boarding:
o Decouple process for initial T-1 sampling of mold(s) and analyze mechanical performance against planned development.
o Perform D.O.E. to establish a nominal process window prior to launching into production and provide documentation in test-run data base.
o Initiate first article inspection process and ensure that tooling performance meets engineering specifications.
o Provides direction for seamless tooling transfer to production across multiple sites.
Projects involved with: (New product introductions, Capacity molds for expanding product lines, Continuous improvement projects, Research support for new technologies, Global standardization, governance, and global mold process improvement).
Education: BS in Polymer engineering or equivalent degree.
• Applicant must have >2 years’ experience of injection mold tooling and a comprehensive understanding of engineering resins
• 2+ years of plastic product and assembly design
• Strong project management capability
• Detailed knowledge of all types of injection mold processing
• Thorough knowledge of secondary assembly and decorating processes
• Ability to utilize all MS Office applications
• Knowledge of engineering resins including material preparation and properties
• Thorough understanding of injection mold processing parameters and applications (cause and affect)
• Effective verbal and written communication
• Ability to lead or participate in cross-functional teams
• Pro-Engineer 3D CAD software,
• Ability to travel domestically and international
• Mold flow technology
• Mold set-up and processing capability
• Ability to trouble shoot with advanced problem solving tools
• Familiarity with automation processes.
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled