Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at:
Scope of Position:
• Subject matter expert for applied optics, metrology gauges and procedures.
• Project technical leader responsible to deliver metrology related solutions.
• Interface with process controls group to provide robust 1stengineering principle solutions
• Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Lead the development of early stage metrology systems for process and product attribute understanding for Corning’s Display Technologies Division
• Lead the Development of critical metrology solutions for internal and external customers
• Develop measurement solutions that entail optical, mechanical, electrical, material science and software integration
• Responsible for leading the transfer of technologies into Display Division Engineering
Projects involved with:
• Measurement & Inspection Gauge development for a variety of glass attributes.
• Glass Process/Product Measurements (thermal, birefringence, distance, 3D shape) technology development
• Support trouble-shooting complex gauge operations.
• Providing insight to customer problems.
Travel Requirements: Up to 20% of time for domestic and international travel
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Core hours, travel, and periodic evening conference calls.
• Masters Level with 10+ year’s experience
• Preferred PhD – optics/mechanical/electrical/physics engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience: 5+ years (see required skills)
• >5 year’s experience in leading the development of new measurement and inspection techniques
• Expertise with measurement sensors (pyrometers, thermocouples, thermal cameras, load cells, position sensors, stress)
• Strong skills in machine vision (CCD/CMOS camera systems, optics, illumination, image processing) and process imaging (thermal, stress and shape measurements) and glass substrate properties (optical, mechanical, electrical, thermal, chemical)
• Expert in Math/Engineering software languages: Matlab, Lab view, ZEMAX, OptiCAD
• Fundamental knowledge of contributing factors to measurement error (measurement platform limitations, environmental, glass attributes, etc.) error budget analysis, Sensitivity analysis
• Proven ability to effectively work within matrix teams in R,D&E environments
• Experienced in characterizing glass attributes using optical metrology tools
• Demonstrated track record in effectively communicating across functions and different levels of the organization
• Judgment about when and where to leverage self with help from other groups/individuals.
• Desired Skills:
• Statistics as it relates to gauge and process understanding (Capability, Outlier Extraction, Design of Experiments)
• Managed high impact development projects which were successfully transferred to manufacturing
• Proven Performance Excellence (6 Sigma, Black or Green Belt)
• Experience in championing new measurements into manufacturing process
• Motion control programming – Adept, Fanuc, Aerotech, Rockwell Software
• Programming language – VB, VC++, Matlab
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional matrix organization
• Ability to communicate across different disciplines and function in the corporation.
• Logical, systematic approach to problems.
• Energetic, positive outlook.
• Constructively augments own skills with other resources.
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.