Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning Display Technologies is a worldwide leader in glass substrates for active matrix liquid crystal displays (LCDs), also known as thin film transistor liquid crystal displays (TFT-LCDs). Our premium-quality substrates are used in notebook computers, flat-panel desktop monitors, LCD televisions, and portable electronic and communications devices.
To know more about Corning Display Technologies worldwide, please visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/display_technologies.aspx
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Hands-on on involvement with the design, development, and implementation of measurement and inspection equipment and techniques
• Provide leadership and coordination with team members and equipment suppliers with system builds and factory installations
• Identify and work to resolve gaps between attribute and technology roadmaps and existing measurement and inspection capability
• Work with scientists, researchers, and/or suppliers to understand first principles of systems and propose lead, material, process and equipment issues, identifies root cause and implements corrective action.
• Implements and documents material, process and/or equipment changes.
• Uses simple statistical tools and Designed Experiments (DOE) in process problem solving and process improvement; Uses more sophisticated statistical tools and DOE techniques in problem solving and process/product improvement.
• Assure quality and repeatability of processes and products.
• Supports new product introductions through equipment installation, process certification, documentation and training.
• Assures safety of operators and equipment and Complies with safety and environmental regulations.
• Develops SME knowledge of material, process and/or equipment in focused areas of manufacturing or engineering.
• Executes cost reduction and improvement (DMAIC) projects in line with business objectives.
Role within group:
• Works with other team members to solve difficult technical, engineering related problems
• Supports or leads continuous improvement activities, new product or process introductions and cost reduction projects and develop improvements and/or enhancements as required
• Drive requirements for optical, mechanical, electrical and software specifications
• Design experiments to evaluate gauging technology
• Coordinate transfer of technology to domestic and international plants
• Perform troubleshooting and/or coordinating problem solving efforts
• Provides day-to-day problem solving support to production, development and research operations.
• Trains operators and trades personnel on new equipment and processes.
• Uses rigorous processes and technical knowledge to build detailed technical understanding for key process steps.
• Functions as a team member or team leader on focused projects.
• Trouble shoots Supports drive to fundamental process understanding and lowest cost producer objectives
• Supports the development and execution of plans to evaluate new technology or improvements in existing technology resulting in a superior product in terms of quality and/or cost
• Understands Corning's Intellectual property management processes and follows that process in documenting any intellectual property developed as part of a project
• Technology owner for measurement and/or inspection system(s) – able to provide hands-on technical leadership and training to others
• Provide equipment understanding and apply with process understanding to integrate with manufacturing.
• Provide a key link between for measurement/inspection systems from early stage into manufacturing.
• Manage equipment supplier(s) to ensure performance and schedule
• Capability & Capacity (product, process and equipment)
• Learning Curve Selects, Rates, Equipment Uptime
• Cost Reduction Impact ($’s)
• Project Delivery Metrics (Stated objectives realized, on budget - capital and expense, on time)
• New product introductions
• Intellectual Property management
• Technology roadmap
• Customer Satisfaction (Quality, Delivery, Product Performance)
Travel: 25-40% travel, including international, required for this position
*Required to sign a Covenant Not to Compete
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor of Science in Engineering or equivalent technical experience or equivalent experience (prefer degree in optical science).
• 1-3 years of experience in related work
• Yellow Belt Training
• Track record of delivering results
• Demonstrated knowledge in a technical field
• Project team membership
• Corning Incorporated –My Development
• Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
• In depth understanding of optical concepts and components.
• Ability to evaluate existing optical systems.
• Hands on experience with equipment installation
• Solid understanding of statistical methods / analysis of systems
• Data retrieval, plotting and analysis (primarily using Microsoft Excel)
• Ability to do approximately 25-40% international travel, typically 2-3 weeks at a time, but occasionally 4-6 week assignments
• Strong process, systems and troubleshooting skills
• Understanding of measurement technology and testing methods
• Experience working with outside suppliers and machine integrators
Competencies (knowledge, skills and behaviors):
• Learning on the Fly
• Action Oriented
• Customer Focus
• Drive for results
• Organizational Agility
• Problem Solving
• Competence in Technical Field
• Performance Excellence
• Safety, Health and Environmental Compliance
• Technical Learning
• Experience in measurement system design
• Software architecture and development experience in VB.Net, C# or C++
• PLC programming
• Experience with international travel
• Manufacturing Support or Operations
• Green Belt Certification
• Project Team Leadership
• Multi-functional responsibility
• Initiative and desire to learn
• Ability to work among a diverse group
• Can work independently
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Willingness to travel internationally
EOE/AA including Veterans