Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Scope of Position:
• This position presents an opportunity to work on a wide range of facilities systems, and will help applicants acquire valuable technical skills and manufacturing knowledge. Candidate will learn about small to medium power distribution systems and among other things, will gain first-hand experience working with chillers, compressed air systems, HVAC systems, cooling towers, vacuum and aspirator exhausters
• The applicant will be part of a dynamic team of facilities engineers and technicians working to provide support to operations and project teams.
• The applicant will be expected to assist with ongoing initiatives to improve equipment performance and reliability
• Understand and comply with plant electrical safety guidelines
• Assist facilities teams with day to day equipment support activities.
• Perform field verification of existing electrical system designs
• Help update electrical drawings as needed
• Provide technical support to project teams as needed( startup and commissioning of wet scrubbers, fans, and bag house systems)
• Interpret infrared thermography images
• Help identify cost reduction opportunities
• Assist with ongoing initiatives to improve equipment performance and reliability
• Complete a technical PPT presentation
• Create a PowerPoint presentation providing an overview of key learning and accomplishments.
• Complete a 30 min PPT presentation, to the leadership team, at the end of the internship period.
Hours of work / work schedule / flex-time:
• Basic work hours are 40hrs/week; 8am-5pm
Education and Experience:
• Enrolled in Electrical Engineering program
• Course work completed to include: Basic electric circuitry, electric power systems
• GPA of 3.0 or above
• Relevant experience a plus
• Computer literate in MS Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Problem-solving skills
• Organizational skills
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks
• Ability to build relationships and interact with all levels of the organization
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively present information
• Flexibility - Able to change and adjust smoothly as the situation demands
• Able to read blue prints and electrical drawings, i.e. single line diagrams
• Able to perform basic field electric testing, voltage, current, and power
• Familiarity with power distribution systems, low, medium or high voltage.
• Familiarity with Foundation Fieldbus and/or Allen Bradley PLC control systems.
• Experience working with Auto CAD
Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.