Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
The global Human Resource (HR) Function provides an integrated talent management system that delivers a workforce that is Corning's competitive differentiator in the global marketplace.
HR provides service offerings that align solutions to business challenges by ensuring the programs are Effective, Efficient, and Global, Scale able, and Repeatable. Corning’s Values are operationalized by the HR Function through the facilitation of Talent Management offerings, as well as programs and processes that aid in making Corning’s Values visible.
This role supports the Corning Optical Communications (COC) Technology HR leader to ensure the right number / type of talent and effective talent management to execute the Optical Connectivity Solutions (OCS) and Optical Fiber and Cable (OFC) Technology strategies and achieve overall goals and objectives. In addition, this role partners with various global technology development directorates to:
• Establish and maintain a positive work environment and operate as “One Corning” consistent with our Values
• Assist in achieving or beating directorates’ budgetary objectives in support of top quartile performance objectives while maintaining appropriate levels of HR service delivery
• Ensure successful implementation of global HR business processes within the directorates
• Ensure compliance with HR-related legal and regulatory guidelines
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Collaborates with directorate leadership teams to identify and prioritize current and future talent requirements which could affect achievement of directorates’ operational objectives.
• Takes actions required to address key talent gaps, ensuring directorates have the right people in the right place at the right time
• Partners with COC Technology HR leader and directorate leadership teams to identify and implement targeted organizational and individual development plans that address talent gaps in a timely manner
• Effectively deploys talent acquisition process for the directorates
• Partners with directorate leadership teams to effectively deploy performance management and rewards processes/practices to drive required levels of employee accountability for desired performance results and ensure retention of key talent
• Manages and mitigates employee issues by ensuring supervisors and leadership are creating an open forum for discussion and resolution of issues
• Coaches and counsels directorate leadership teams in the development and demonstration of leadership and management practices required to sustain a positive work environment
• Takes ownership for HR initiatives to support the effective operations of the organization by developing and/or delivering specific programs and processes (e.g., learning and development, rotational programs, technical mentorship, intern pipeline, etc.)
• Effectively deploys HR service delivery in support of HR goals and to meet employee and leadership required level of support
• Establishes and maintains presence and credibility with employees and leadership teams to keep a read on the pulse of the organizations
• Establishes and maintains relationships with global site HR teams to ensure collaboration and to leverage local expertise in order to present “1HR” view and optimize employee support
• Implements appropriate risk management policies and procedures to ensure compliance with safety requirements and local, state, and federal employment laws.
Travel Requirements: 10% - 20%, some international
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Generally M – F with flextime and flex place options
• Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, or Organization Development, labor relations or equivalent;
• Master’s degree in related area and/or HR certifications is a plus
• 5+ years of HR experience (generalist/specialist)
• Successful track record in the deployment of global HR business processes or programs
• People Development
• Interpersonal Savvy
• Business Acumen
• Organizational Agility
• Problem Solving
• HR Service Orientation
• HR Technical Expertise
• Project Management
• Champion Global Growth
• Communicate and Engage
Additional Specific Position Requirements:
• Excellent communication and influence skills using data to support recommendations
• Ability to lead meetings and initiatives that involve stakeholders at all levels of the organization
• Experienced at resolving employee issues and conflicts
• Ability and willingness to coach others at various levels of the organization and to deliver difficult feedback
• Ability to effectively interact in a global environment and organization structure, across geographic boundaries and with other cultures
• Capable of working and delivering results in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities
• Customer focus orientation with strong problem solving skills
• Ability to be adaptable and flexible and drive change management
• Capable of taking the initiative and being a self-starter, with limited direct supervision
• Knowledgeable of general employment laws and policies
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.