Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning Life Sciences brings new and innovative laboratory tools to researchers. Our core technical competencies include polymer science, biochemistry and molecular biology, glass melting and forming, surface modification, and characterization science. As part of Corning Incorporated, we are a world leader in specialty glass and have a 150-year tradition of innovation.
We are committed to meeting customers’ unique and changing needs with original solutions for today’s emerging life sciences technologies. Our dedication to quality, technology and innovation has enabled us to produce the world’s most comprehensive line of laboratory tools for life science research. Corning Life Sciences also offers custom capabilities such as special packaging, bar coding, and printed lot numbers, to meet specific customer requirements.
To know more about Corning Life Sciences, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/life_sciences.aspx
Scope of Position:
• Lead or work with other team members to solve technical, engineering related problems
• Lead continuous improvement activities, new product or process introductions, and cost reduction projects
• Drive to fundamental process understanding and lowest cost producer objectives through the use of engineering tools, data analysis, PEx, MEE, etc.
• Development and execution of plans to evaluate & validate new technology or improvements in existing technology resulting in a superior product in terms of quality and/or cost
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Lead projects involving cost reduction, equipment optimization, and facility infrastructure processes leading to continuous improvement
• Provide engineering expertise for fundamental understanding of equipment, mold and facility issues
• Develop & review concepts, designs & drawings for safety, interference, manufacturing effectiveness, feasibility and code compliance
• Responsible for managing the plant drawing system
• Provide trend analysis of key metrics and implement response plans
• Design process experiments to determine and optimize important process variables and design product parameters
• Actively engage in plant safety initiatives and projects
• Provide training for operations workforce regarding equipment or operations changes
• Develop and update engineering and operations documentation
• Assist in the identification and resolution of product quality issues
Travel Requirements: Less than 5%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8-10 hours/day; 40-50 hours/week. This position may require off hour coverage on nights and weekends on a rotating basis with co-workers
Required Education: BS or MS in the following Engineering Disciplines: Mechanical or Materials Engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience: 3+ years of engineering work experience
• Demonstrated ability to learn new technology and processes quickly
• Demonstrated problem solving ability to include data analysis and analytical skills
• Ability to interpret data to identify root cause of process issues and drive performance improvements
• Strong fundamental understanding of mechanical design practices, flexible automation, robotics, material handling, and system integration including development of process machine/ system design specifications, error budgets, and proof of principle testing Demonstrated skills in 2D & 3D CAD, Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing
• Familiar with stat of the art technologies in the following areas: electromechanical drive systems, fluid power, pneumatics, robotics, material handling, alignment, part sensing, and safety standards
• Excellent PC skills including MS Office Suite and data analysis tools
• Excellent communication skills - both written and oral
• Strong desire to achieve and implement solutions
• Ability to excel in a team oriented working environment
• Six Sigma Greenbelt certification
• Advanced statistical and analytical techniques
• Manufacturing plant experience
• Formal problem solving leadership skills
• Project management experience
• Experience working in a medical or FDA certified/registered manufacturing facility.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully apply tools such as scientific molding to injection molding processes (Master Molder Certification, de-coupled molding, etc.)
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Strong technical curiosity
• Open and engaging - able to interface effectively with all levels of the organization
• Flexible and adaptable
• Comfortable with a hands-on approach to problem solving
• Ability to work effectively in a union environment - develop positive relationships with all employees
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.