Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
As Executive Catering Chef, you will be responsible for continuously creating, developing and maintaining the Corning Incorporated Culinary brand image. Sustain the quality and overall safety of food and beverage offered to our customers at all company properties and functions. The Executive Catering Chef, along with Catering Manager will work with other company executives and managers to:
• Maintain and monitor our current culinary standards; ensure that those standards are met at all catering events.
• Continue to develop a culinary team capable of meeting culinary standards and lead them to produce results that are consistently rated as outstanding by our customers.
• Experience in creating and executing extremely high level/formal menus with focus on trends, presentation and customer expectations.
• Develop a rapport with each executive customer; meeting with them regarding menu needs, dietary needs and overall satisfaction.
• Create, develop and maintain culinary programs that are cutting edge in catering.
• Supervise and direct the catering culinary team under the direction of the Catering Manager.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Supervises kitchen staff, evaluates job performance, rewards and disciplines staff in a fair and legal manner.
• Plans yearly menus and executive level dinner menus, in conjunction with chef team for all of catering.
• Strong communication skills with a diverse workforce
• Schedules and coordinates the work of chefs, cooks and other kitchen staff to assure that food preparation is economical and correct within budgeted labor cost goals.
• Approves the requisition of products and other necessary food purchases.
• Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times, meeting state, local and Corning standards.
• Establishes controls to minimize waste and maximize profits.
• Implements/Supervises training of kitchen staff to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles.
• Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which assures consistency, high quality and minimal food costs. Exercises portion controls for all items served and assists Catering Manager in menu pricing.
• Attends food, beverage and management staff and leadership meetings.
• Consults with Catering Manager about food production for special events.
• Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items requiring skilled preparation.
• Evaluates food products to assure quality standards are met.
• Puts procedures and processes in place to assure a smooth running kitchen at all times. Makes sure these procedures are adhered to at all times.
• Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
• Motivates and develops staff including cross training.
• Monitor the HACCP processes
Projects Involved with:
• Complete Nutrition
• Menu development and execution
• Safety and Sanitation
• CBORD Restaurant Management Software
Travel Requirements (please note if international):
• Within the Corning Valley and business needs.
Education and Experience:
• Culinary Education from an accredited culinary institution required.
• 5+ years’ experience as Executive Chef in high end catering or restaurant
• 4 year college degree preferred
• Ability to multi-task and manage multiple food service concepts in a high paced, time sensitive environment (deadline oriented with a high sense of urgency).
• Strong organization skills, with the ability to delegate effectively to others.
• Expert knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls and presentation
• Independent, dedicated and a self-starter.
• A high level of commitment, passion and creativity for food.
• Professional demeanor.
• Experience with procuring necessary products, both food and otherwise, while maintaining quality, inventory levels and cost control.
• Experience developing and costing menus.
• Experience with maintaining proper sanitation and equipment operations. Ability to read, understands, follow and enforce safety/health procedures.
• Strong attention to detail, with high standards for quality.
• Experience working in a customer environment, including strong customer service skills.
• Process management experience, including development and deployment of standardized processes and procedures.
• Strong Leadership Skills.
• Ability to teach and train in all aspects of Culinary Arts.
• Experiences working in a team environment, as well as participating on cross divisional teams.
• Advanced knowledge and use of Microsoft Office Programs (e.g., Word, Excel, Power point, and Outlook).
• Plan a variety of menus to suit the needs for Catering Services
• Possess knowledge of and a high degree of skill, in all cooking procedures and be able to apply them to deliver consistent, high quality products that meet menu specifications.
• Experience understanding and evaluating both current and historical financial information, while utilizing the information to develop a forecast for the future business environment.
• Experience with utilizing C-BORD Menu Management Software.
• Inventory management experience
• Exhibit a confident attitude and strong culinary knowledge.
• Have the ability to communicate and supervise teams.
• Be able to work with a diverse group of employees and guests.
• Be open to feedback in an effort to improve.
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.