Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
Position will serve as a process and electrical engineering resource for the Winding and Automation equipment support group in Corning’s Concord, NC facility. Main responsibility is to ensure that complex manufacturing equipment and processes meet daily production requirements in terms of safety, quality and, reliability. Monitor process attributes on a daily basis, initiate and verify responses throughout the support chain. Participate in synchronization efforts by actively receiving new technology and processes. Seek out and implement cost reduction opportunities. Knowledge of various controls platforms and electrical engineering principles.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & DUTIES:
• Provide high quality electrical and process support for a fast-paced 24 x 7 manufacturing environment.
• Track daily production/quality metrics and plan reactionary measures as needed.
• Own performance of key attributes: develop and maintain tracking tools, report out on daily discrepancies, and manage long term performance.
• Experience with various electrical and machine control systems.
• Equipment and process troubleshooting skills.
• Sound mechanical skills required.
• Work closely with support technicians to resolve equipment issues.
• Provide incremental training and coaching on new equipment or process changes as needed.
• Provide constructive coaching and guidance throughout all levels of the support organization to develop appropriate troubleshooting skills and techniques in others.
• Ensure all equipment and processes are safe to operate. Understanding of NEC and other pertinent safety codes.
• Ability to work across various functional groups on a daily basis to accomplish goals: Operations, IT, Facilities, Project Engineering, QE, etc.
JOB KNOWLEDGE & EDUCATIONAL LEVEL:
• Electrical Engineering degree with 2 or more year’s equipment/controls experience.
• Experience with Beck off controllers and associated hardware including; PLC software and I/O devices, motion control, various communication protocols, field wiring and disconnect devices.
• Ability to generate, debug and modify PLC code – both ladder logic and structured text.
• Knowledge of closed loop control systems and PID tuning.
• Sound understanding of AC/DC electrical theory, and practical application thereof.
• Experience with various electro-mechanical devices such as; servo motors, valves, sensing devices and conveyors.
• Experience with industrial vision systems and scanning devices.
• Ability to generate and interpret electrical drawings using AutoCAD Electrical.
• Self-starter able to exceed expectations with a minimal amount of Supervision.
• Highly motivated with a focus on customer satisfaction and results.
• Basic understanding of project management skills.
• Seeks to identify and correct potential safety or environmental issues before they occur.
• Good problem solving skills. Ability to reach fundamental understanding.
• Working knowledge of data analysis techniques using Microsoft Excel and Access.
• Understanding of Six Sigma techniques.
• Strong written/verbal communication and overall people skills.
• Ability to participate on, or lead, project or process improvement teams.
• Knowledge of ANSI standards, NFPA and NEC applicable Electrical Codes.
• Grounding and shielding of electrical systems
• Ensure safety procedures, such as Lock-Out Tag-Out, are followed at all times.
• Understand regulations applicable to area of expertise and works to ensure compliance.
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.