Purpose of the Position:
Provides mechanical design solutions for current and future processing equipment, specifically fiber making and cable process equipment. These solutions will enable manufacturing systems to deliver and transform raw materials to product, convey ware between discrete processing steps, and/or measure and characterize ware created and/or processed by these novel manufacturing methods.
Position is in the Division Engineering organization within Corning Optical Fiber.
Locations available: Concord, Hickory, Wilmington, or Winston-Salem, NC.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Lead or participate in engineering project teams that are responsible to deliver robust, cost effective automation and machine control systems to Corning’s manufacturing plants and processes.
• Work closely with IT & process and control engineers to define requirements, control sequence logic (both time-based and event-based), fail-safe states, and process /equipment recovery sequences.
• Select and specify mechanical equipment to accomplish desired process / equipment functions that are compatible / compliant with site standards.
• Work closely with engineering project team and eventual production operation receivers to determine design requirements and constraints.
• Drive to clarify design requirements when they are ambiguous or unknown.
• Accurately estimate timeframe to complete project work once scope of work is adequately defined and then complete work to agreed-to timeline.
• Lead or work within project teams to solve difficult automation problems, resolve project related issues, and develop fundamental understanding of technical / process requirements critical to system success.
• Drive the development of fundamental understanding of critical process and technical requirements, identify areas of technical risk in assigned projects, conduct prototype / feasibility testing to verify concept, and define and document system design specifications.
• Participate in the development of mechanical system standards, system functional specification, and system integration requirements that will satisfy process and manufacturing requirements.
• Design, and / or direct resources, to develop fully integrated machine tools / motion control systems, robot cells, measurement systems, and safety systems.
• Interface with external system integrators and machine builders to successfully deliver fully integrated process equipment systems to Corning’s plants on-time, on-budget, and that satisfy performance measures.
• Actively lead or participate in all phases of the project including design, fabrication, off-line integration and testing, installation, production start-up support, training of plant personnel, and technology transfer.
• Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis. Ensure results meet the customer’s requirements as well as applicable national and international equipment design standards.
• Individual must be capable of executing project assignments in a team based environment and with minimal supervision.
Projects involved with:
• Fiber On-Draw Screening systems
• Cable Winding systems
• Off-Line screening and Coloring equipment
• Robotics and other automated systems
• Automated Guided Vehicles
Travel Requirements (please note if international):
• 25-30% in North America. Limited international travel may be required
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• 8am – 5pm
Required Education (minimum required for consideration):
• B.S. in Engineering (Mechanical Strongly Preferred)
Required Years and Area of Experience: (minimum required for consideration):
• 5-10 year’s experience of Mechanical design in a manufacturing environment
Required Skills (These are skills that candidates MUST possess):
• Drives to clarify design requirements when they are ambiguous or unknown
• Complies with Division & Site standards and guidelines for drawing systems and intellectual property security.
• Experience and judgment determining which components of an assembly / assembled system should be in-house Corning-designed & fabricated vs. purchased from available vendors.
• Ability to integrate mechanical sub-assemblies into fully-functional equipment design.
• Proficient in Inventor CAD software.
• Appropriately identifies and communicates design challenges which may require solutions which challenge scope, timeline, and/or budget.
• Accurately estimates timeframe to complete project work, once scope of work is adequately defined, then completes work to agreed-to timeline.
• Produces thorough and timely 3-D designs, and associated drawings where required.
• Demonstrated ability to design novel equipment versus replicating and/or scaling existing equipment designs.
• Experience in defining instrumentation & control requirements.
Desired Skills (These are skills that would be nice for candidates to possess):
• Experience with GE Fanuc or other robotics
• Experience with FEA (Finite Element Analysis)
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Works well in a team environment.
• Acts and makes decisions in the best interest of project team.
• Complies with all policies and procedures of project team.
• Strong written and verbal communications and overall people skills.
• Resolve conflicts with peers, customers, etc.
• Ability to easily work with different functional areas (development, engineering, manufacturing, trades, etc.).