Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Scope of Position:
• Focus will be troubleshooting of automated process machines, material handling systems, and automation in Corning's manufacturing plants and processes.
• Member of cross-functional Controls Engineering team responsible for support and functionality enhancements required for advanced manufacturing of automation and process machine systems in Firing.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Serve as an Electrical Controls resource for troubleshooting of production equipment in the Diesel Manufacturing facility in Painted Post NY to support the 24/7 manufacturing of Diesel products.
• Initiate and maintain relationships with Operations and Maintenance to provide first responder Controls support for all departments. Focus will be to safely get equipment back in operation and performing at established rates and quality. Detailed reports of activities will be communicated to Operations and within the Controls Engineering group.
• Control system troubleshooting will include but not limited to, Programmable Control Systems, Human Machine Interfaces, Robots, Motion Control, Measurement Systems, Instrumentation, Dryers, Kilns, Material Handling Systems, Networks, Computer system hardware / software application support for MES and data collection systems.
• Work utilizing plant & division electrical controls standards. Serve as a technical resource for questions regarding deviation and interpretation as well as managing changes.
• Individual must be capable of executing assignments, in a team based environment, with minimal supervision, with a focus on risk reduction and prevention.
Travel Requirements: Minimal
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• Position follows a 2-2-3 schedule within a team of 4 to provide 24 hour coverage providing every other weekend off. The shifts are 12 hours 8AM-8PM and 8PM-8AM that rotate after each 3 day weekend.
• Associate of Science - Electrical / Mechanical Engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience:
• 0-5 years of Engineering experience with demonstrated success of supporting, designing, developing and implementing, robust state of the art control solutions using machine / motion control systems, flexible automation, robotics systems, and electro-mechanical systems into manufacturing.
• High level of technical curiosity that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges incumbent in the position. Ability and interest to learn, and apply, new technologies in support of overall technical objectives.
• Fundamental understanding of electrical design practices, machine / motion control systems, electro-mechanical systems, robotics, programming, and system integration
• Ability to work in a team based environment and participate on a highly matrixed team
• Possesses an understanding of general mechanics and ability to apply it in troubleshooting and system design
• Self-starter who is able to exceed expectations for their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision in a risk reduction environment.
• Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills
• Highly motivated, results oriented, customer focused, with a high commitment level
• Allen Bradley PLC (Control Logix)& machine/ motion control experience
• Fanuc Robot Experience
• Control system (PLC, motion control, safety devices, high level languages) and vision programming skills (Wit, Lab view, Cognex, Helcon)
• Demonstrated knowledge of control systems design, programming, and systems integration with understanding of open loop and closed loop control systems
• Familiar with state of the art technologies in the following areas: control systems integration, controls architectures, PLC’s, motion control systems, electro-mechanical drive systems, robotics, part sensing, vision, risk assessment, and safety systems
• Computer science skills in hardware, software, VB, Database & C++ programming
• Knowledge of glass and ceramic manufacturing
• Forward looking
• Prior experience moving a new product or process from development into manufacturing
• Knowledgeable in applicable national and international electrical and robotic design and safety codes
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled