Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at:
Scope of Position:
To provide support to FDM operations and to be part of the engineering team that supports research melting/forming operations. The position includes process trouble-shooting, and meant to be an internal SME on FDM activities.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Manage process operations and trouble-shooting
• Participate in repair, redesign and rebuild activities from an operations perspective
• Provide training to operations personnel and be a forming SME within the department
• Work with the Development and Operations Teams to determine forming system and process requirements
• Prepare technical RFQ
• Utilize Process Document Change process
• Procure and manage inventory of FDM rebuild materials
• Assist Melting/Forming Operations with startup activities
Travel Requirements: Minimum
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday; Off-shift support as required by support/project demands
• BS Degree in Engineering discipline (Mechanical, Electrical, Materials)
Required Years and Area of Experience:
• 1 Year experience in S&T within RM Operations
• Experience with equipment/maintenance.
• Process development and manufacturing experience
• Knowledge of mechanical design, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment with a diverse membership.
• Good communication and presentation skills – Able to communicate with wide range of individuals.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and issues effectively.
• Project Leadership