Replacement of GC detector

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ligte's picture
Replacement of GC detector

We have a GC-2010 SHIMADZU with a FID detector. I have spoken to the technical people from shimadzu and they told me i could not install a electron impact detector on the excisting instrument and if we wanted this detector we need to buy a new one. People (analysts) whos been in the business for 20 years told me its nonsense and it can be done. Does any of you know about a someone who's done it and where i can get a second hand detector, because shimadzu obviously would not sell me one.

thank you   

jwpa's picture
Given enough money and time,

Given enough money and time, you can connect anything to nearly anything.  However, it may not be efficient or cost-effective.
I'm not certain what you mean by "electron impact detector" for GC.  You may be referring to a GC/MS combination using an electron impact ionization chamber.  Yes, this can be done and was done - in the late sixties or early seventies, I believe.  As doctoral work.  You can do it, but you'll invest a lot of time getting it reliable and robust.  And you'll probably spend more money than a new and more versatile instrument would cost. 
If "electron impact detector" means electron capture detector, yes, you can buy one from VICI - or at least, you could a couple of years ago.  And I assume it isn't too difficult to connect, given a heated transfer line.
I'm afraid I can't give you advice on where to get second-hand instruments;  I've bought used HPLC equipment from ebay, but not within the last decade.  
Good luck