Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » General » Biostatistics » Is it better to plot graphs with SD or SEM error bars?

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

Is it better to plot graphs with SD or SEM error bars?

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

R Bishop
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Administration & Protein Detection Moderator
Topic Started by R Bishop
on 12/10/2008 13:41 PM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

As a graduate student and post-doc, I never really got statistics. It all seemed like confusing math that Id rather not think about. However as I grew further in science and tried to publish papers on my own and began to direct graduate students of my own, I realized I had to figure it all out.

At the Society for Neuroscience conference in Washington, D.C. I met one of the founders of GraphPad. Prism is the program I use mostly for stats, so I talked the poor guy's head off.

Anyway he turned me onto his blog on the Graph Pad website. I love this article he wrote and got his permission to post it here.

The original blog can be accessed here

Is it better to plot graphs with SD or SEM error bars?
(Answer: Neither) FAQ# 201

There are better alternatives to SD and SEM, depending on your goal.

If you want to show the variation in your data:

If each value represents a different individual, you probably want to show the variation among values. Even if each value represents a different lab experiment, it often makes sense to show the variation.

With fewer than 100 or so values, create a scatter plot that shows every value. What better way to show the variation among values than to show every value? If your data set has more than 100 or so values, a scatter plot becomes messy. Alternatives are to show a box-and-whiskers plot, a frequency distribution (histogram), or a cumulative frequency distribution.

What about plotting mean and SD? The SD does quantify variability, so this is indeed one way to graph variability. But a SD is only one value, so is a pretty limited way to show variation. A graph showing mean and SD error bar is less informative than any of the other alternatives, but takes no less space and is no easier to interpret. I see no advantage to plotting a mean and SD rather than a column scatter graph, box-and-wiskers plot, or a frequency distribution.

Of course, if you do decide to show SD error bars, be sure to say so in the figure legend so no one will think it is a SEM.

If you want to show how precisely you have determined the mean:

If your goal is to compare means with a t test or ANOVA, or to show how closely our data come to the predictions of a model, you may be more interested in showing how precisely the data define the mean than in showing the variability. In this case, the best approach is to plot the 95% confidence interval of the mean (or perhaps a 90% or 99% confidence interval).

What about the standard error of the mean (SEM)? Graphing the mean with an SEM error bars is a commonly used method to show how well you know the mean, The only advantage of SEM error bars are that they are shorter, but SEM error bars are harder to interpret than a confidence interval.

Whatever error bars you choose to show, be sure to state your choice.

If you want to create persuasive propoganda:

If your goal is to emphasize small and unimportant differences in your data, show your error bars as SEM, and hope that your readers think they are SD

If our goal is to cover-up large differences, show the error bars as the standard deviations for the groups, and hope that your readers think they are a standard errors.

This approach was advocated by Steve Simon in his excellent weblog. Of course he meant it as a joke. If you don't understand the joke, review the differences between SD and SEM.

from the GraphPad Prism website
http://www.graphpad.com/faq/viewfaq.cfm?faq=201

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
-- Einstein

Replies
mchinmoyee
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By mchinmoyee
on 12/14/2008 4:45 AM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

Thank you for the post, it will definitely help everyone.
Here is a related paper which describes about the Error bars & statistics.

"Error bars in experimental biology". Geoff Cumming, Fiona Fidler,and David L. Vaux.The Journal of Cell Biology, Vol. 177, No. 1, April 9, 2007, pp 7-11.
http://www.jcb.org/cgi/doi/10.1083/jcb.200611141

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.

Click here to
Become a member & join our
community (It's easy & free)
Already a member? Please log in
User Name  
Password  
Forget Password?
Scientists
Not finding the answer you need?

Post a new topic

You must be logged in to post. Log in above.
Not a member yet? Click here to register
(it's free)
Thank You to Our Sponsor

The Latest Events

No events found.