Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Cell Culture and Tissue Culture » General Tissue Culture » Antibiotics in TC media

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

Antibiotics in TC media

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

made_in_the_80s
United Kingdom

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by made_in_the_80s
on 6/20/2008 3:12 AM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

Hi,

I have recently been having some contamination problems in my tissue culture. I have not been using anitbiotics in the media as I know it's not good practice in the long-term (damage to cells and increasing chances of antibiotic resistant bacterial strains etc.).

However, it has been suggested that I could hit the contamination with a treatment of pen/strep for a short while until the contamination is sorted and my cells are happy again.

Having searched the net though, I can't find the answer to a question I ask out of curiosity really: Why is a pen/strep combo used as standard in tissue culture media? why not gentamicin or kanamycin? I've come across a couple of (very old!) papers which say that gentamicin is better and a guidance sheet on invitrogen states that gentamicin and kanamycin have slightly broader antibiotic spectrums.

Thanks!

Last edited Feb 09, 2009, 19:59 PM by R Bishop
Replies
Ravin
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Ravin
on 11/23/2008 1:47 AM   

Hey I have been using Gentamicin @ the concentration of 2mg/L in my cultures since long. The antibiotic is added in my initial revival medium also. The results are good however if you have issues pertaining to fungal contamination pen/strep combo is a good option. About usage of combination I am unaware!!

Shubhangi
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Young Frog
Posted By Shubhangi
on 11/29/2008 22:09 PM   

Penicillin-kills gram positive while Streptomycin Gram negative bacteria. Its standard antibiotic mixture that controls most types of bacteria.
It has no activity against fungi or mycoplasma.
This product is useful both as a preventive agent and as a treatment for bacterially contaminated cultures.though later i will not recommend.
However, organisms resistant to one or both antibiotics are becoming more common in cell culture laboratories.
One can also use gentamycin or kanamycin or any other. pen/strep is being used "traditionally"
I have been using it since past 5yrs.

Last edited Dec 12, 2008, 1:24 AM by Shubhangi

Arefeh
Iran

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Arefeh
on 12/5/2008 23:36 PM   

In our lab, we use pen/strep for routine culture, because as you mentioned gentamicin or kanamycin have a wider spectrum and are stronger, so we prefer not to have resistancy against them! In the case of contamination we use gentamicin instead of pen/strep.

PaulaB
United Kingdom

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By PaulaB
on 2/9/2009 4:38 AM   

Do you keep frozen stocks of cells? I don't use antibiotics in the media at all and have multiple flasks going on different days that are split on different days. That way if there is contamination the dodgy flask and/or media can be chucked and in a last resort if the other flask becomes contaminated I return to frozen stocks.

heehawmcduff
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By heehawmcduff
on 2/9/2009 9:11 AM   

I would certainly avoid antibiotics if possible as I have seen detrimental changes in morphology and behaviour when using pen/strep

parvoman
Scotland

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By parvoman
on 2/9/2009 18:38 PM   

Our lab is also considering switching to using media that is free of pen/strep. The reason for this is that we find that low level contaminations can exist without us realising and they result in altered cell function. In particular the presence of very small levels of LPS in macrophage cultures is a problem.

I guess we all keep our TC media in a fridge when not in use. If the media is being used over weeks and months, this makes sense as it protects the more sensitive constituents. However, if you use media as fast as I do there might be a case for leaving the media at RT or even at 37%. Doing this means that there is no danger of using contaminated media without realising it!

Cyber Cowboy avatar used with permission of artist: Robert Casumbal. http://www.robertcasumbal.com/blog/

ARGERINE
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By ARGERINE
on 4/7/2009 2:50 AM   

made_in_the_80s said:
Hi, I have recently been having some contamination problems in my tissue culture. I have not been using anitbiotics in the media as I know it's not good practice in the long-term (damage to cells and increasing chances of antibiotic resistant bacterial strains etc.). However, it has been suggested that I could hit the contamination with a treatment of pen/strep for a short while until the contamination is sorted and my cells are happy again. Having searched the net though, I can't find the answer to a question I ask out of curiosity really: Why is a pen/strep combo used as standard in tissue culture media? why not gentamicin or kanamycin? I've come across a couple of (very old!) papers which say that gentamicin is better and a guidance sheet on invitrogen states that gentamicin and kanamycin have slightly broader antibiotic spectrums. Thanks!

pen/strep are broad spectrum antibiotics and are used for gram + and -ive contaminants. anti fungal supplements are amphotericin B. Logic of using pen/strep is that they are common antibiotics , are comparatively cheaper than gentamicin / kanamycin etc. and secondly if a resistant strain develops for the pen/strep one can always switch over to the more stronger antibiotics in form of kanamycin sulphate and gentamycin etc that have more broader spectrum of effectiveness and are not coomon and hence are unlikely to have resistant form rather than switching it over vice versa. from pen/strep combination.

Gaganjot Singh

Truth seems so closer now......

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.