Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » General » Miscellaneous » Drawing the line between Theoretical and Basic Biology

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

Drawing the line between Theoretical and Basic Biology

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

Isidro T. Savillo
Philippines

Send PM
See Mini bio

Tadpole
Topic Started by Isidro T. Savillo
on 3/25/2008 10:42 AM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

Drawing the Line Between Theoretical and Basic Biology
By Isidro T. Savillo

During my early bouts in Theoretical Biology, I was indeed confused because what is being written about a certain subject in Theoretical Biology say for instance Symbiosis has been discussed in Basic Biology specifically in its branch of Physiology and Biochemistry about the integrative Biochemical Systems of Organs. And if we have to zero in to a particular integrative biochemical systems we noticed that it is extended and it keeps on going, passing the signals or the products to the next batch of biochemical pathways which when in favorable situations will lead to the continuity of life or produce life. When I worked with the serum retinol binding like protein (sRBP) of Octopus, I noticed the interdependencies of the retinol and sRBP in order to produce vision which lead me to conclude that they have a particular type of symbiosis. I recalled I had this idea published in Bionet Section of Symbiosis unfortunately that section is closed and I could not bring back the original statement I had. If we compare the Theoretical Biology of Symbiosis with that of Basic Biology, I could not see a clear difference. It seems that in this case the Theoretical Biology definition is just a new interpretation but similar meaning of what is being discussed in academic textbooks and class lectures in Physiology and Biochemistry. Going back to sRBP, to the special definition of Symbiosis and applying it to Theoretical Biology that type of interdependency between the two components the way I look at it can now belong to Theoretical Biology rather than Basic Biology.

Theoretical Biology is a specific extension of what has been concluded in Basic Biology and shooting that conclusive statement in all angles and finding new but supportive statements for that fresh conclusion. It is an exploration of new ideas which one could extensively apply depending to the extent of the individuals biological thoughts and knowledge. Right now the studies in molecular and cell biology is making a stand as sources of conclusive statements or defensive statements for new ideas by Theoretical Biologists. Specific outlining and applying the new literatures would lead to a conclusive statement in Theoretical Biology or putting a conclusive statement from Basic Biology into the limelight so it will receive a barrage of realistic expounding and future assemblages of what it will be and how it will be in the world of science. The conclusive statements in Basic Biology are the guinea pigs that the Theoretical Biologists work about so as to give birth to new knowledge and ideas which are eventually important in the making of new discoveries and to further the enlightenment of the inquisitive minds.

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.

Click here to
Become a member & join our
community (It's easy & free)
Already a member? Please log in
User Name  
Password  
Forget Password?
Scientists
Not finding the answer you need?

Post a new topic

You must be logged in to post. Log in above.
Not a member yet? Click here to register
(it's free)
Thank You to Our Sponsor

The Latest Events

No events found.