Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Cell Culture and Tissue Culture » General Tissue Culture » D-Glucose or L-Glucose--what's the difference?

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

D-Glucose or L-Glucose--what's the difference?

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

smartee
Israel

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by smartee
on 3/7/2008 16:46 PM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

I need to culture some RG2 cells (rat glioma), and the ATCC product info recommends DMEM with L-Glucose. The problem is that it seems most vendors use D-Glucose.

What's the difference between the two, as far as culture goes, and is it ok to use one instead of the other?

Replies
iamjani
Canada

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By iamjani
on 12/10/2008 14:32 PM   

The stereochemistry of them are different, depending on your cell line, some may metabolize one of them only.

Magenmd
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Magenmd
on 5/19/2009 20:33 PM   

In chemistry two stereoisomers are said to be enantiomers if they can be superimposed on the mirror image of one other. Stated differently: an enantiomer is a non-superimposable mirror image of itself. A simple analogy would be that your left and right shoes are enantiomers of each other. Two molecules that are made up of the exact same atoms and having exactly the same neighbors and differ only in their spatial orientation are said to be stereoisomers. A test for enantiomers can be stated as: Do the above molecules possess mirror planes of symmetry? That is, is it possible to find a plane that cuts through the molecule such that the two halves are mirror images of each other? It has to bisect all of the chiral centers.

An enantiomer of an optically active isomer rotates plane polarized light in an equal but opposite direction of the original isomer. A solution of equal parts of an optically active isomer and its enantiomer is known as a racemic solution and has a net rotation of plane polarized light of zero. A more indepth explanation of this is in the footnotes for Optical isomerism;

Enantiomers will have the opposite prefixes of each other:

• D- becomes L-
  • dextro becomes levo
  • (+)- becomes (-)-
  • R- becomes S-

Research is expanding into the field of chiral chemistry quite rapidly because, for the most part, only one enantiomer is active in a biological system. This is because most biological reactions are enzymatic and the enzymes can only attach to one of the enantiomers. (The left-shoe stretcher will only fit in the left shoe, not in the right shoe. Enzymes and their targets must fit together.) That is usually not a problem because mother nature only tends to make the one that you need. There are exceptions where both enantiomers are biologically active. One would be (+)-carvone & (-)-carvone; one smells like  s/mint and the other like caraway.

Shubhangi
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Young Frog
Posted By Shubhangi
on 5/19/2009 20:52 PM   

HI Samrtee

I guess you are talking about the cell line as per below link

http://www.atcc.org/ATCCAdvancedCatalogSearch/ProductDetails/tabid/452/Default.aspx?ATCCNum=CRL-2433&Template=cellBiology

if its true. then what you are saying is totally wrong. ATCC is asking to use D glucose only. L form is for certain amino acids like glutamine. Check below link which is composition of DMEM recommended by ATCC.

http://www.atcc.org/Portals/1/Pdf/30-2002.pdf

This answers your query.

heehawmcduff
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By heehawmcduff
on 5/20/2009 10:18 AM   

A long while back, my old lab had to grow a cell line with RPMI and both D-glucose and L-glucose?!? (but the name of it escapes me at the moment).  One of the guys also tried it with standard D-Glucose only  I think and the cells did not grow at all (which is strange as I thought that L-glucose couldn't be used in culture because the cells can't metabolise it).

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.

Click here to
Become a member & join our
community (It's easy & free)
Already a member? Please log in
User Name  
Password  
Forget Password?
Scientists
Not finding the answer you need?

Post a new topic

You must be logged in to post. Log in above.
Not a member yet? Click here to register
(it's free)
Thank You to Our Sponsor