Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Analytical Chemistry » Assay Development and Protocols » Assay Calculation

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

Assay Calculation

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

Gamalmostafa
Egypt

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by Gamalmostafa
on 12/12/2006 17:56 PM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

I have a problem in assay calculation. where I analyse hard gelatin capsule of Amoxicillin. the capsule contains 266 mg of Amoxicillin Trihydrate equivlaent to 250mg of amoxicillin. I use the following equation.
mg/cap = A t x W s( mg) x Dfu x P x Av. Fill Wt. of cap.
A s x Dfs x W t (mg) x 100
where
A t : the response of test solution.
A s : the response of standard solution.
Dfu : the dilution factor of test solution.
Dfs : the dilution factor of standard solution.
W t & W s : the weigh of Test and standard respectively.
P : is the purity of amoxicillin standard.( here is the problem)
where I have two assay of Amoxicillin working standard one is AS SUCH ( 85.9%) and ON DRY BASIS 98.8%) my question here when I use ON DRY BASIS potency should I have the result of mg/cap as amoxicillin base or WHAT???
Provided that the USP does not recommend drying the standard of Amoxicillin trihydrate).
Please can you help

Gamal Mostafa

Replies
Posted By Srinivasareddy.Attunuri
on 1/1/2009 22:02 PM   

If u are taking warking standard as is basis result is ammoxacilin base

If u are taking warking standard on dried basis result is ammoxacilin

Ajesh
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Ajesh
on 9/9/2010 10:42 AM   

Nice Question.

As we have to find the content of amoxicillin trihydrate equivalent to Amoxicillin in mg per capsule of av.net.weight we have to use as such ie 85.9% for standard purity in calculation because rest of the percentage ,ie 14% may be of water molecule(as the R.S amoxicillin in its trihydrate form)

Last edited Sep 09, 2010, 22:28 PM by Ajesh

bUJJI
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By bUJJI
on 9/14/2010 0:51 AM   

Potency is always As such unless and otherwise specified. Potency on dried basis should not be considered. since You are getting the area of amoxicillin but not for LOD/WATER by HPLC. you have the absorbance for 85.9% potency.

Last edited Sep 14, 2010, 2:51 AM by bUJJI

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Rajeshwari patel
on 9/15/2010 1:51 AM   

Nice quation.

If you are going to report your potency report on basis of Iu/mg you take  85.9% and if you want to report in IU/cap you take according to that be cause youar measuring replative potency which is coimng according to your standrd which you take for the estimation.

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Durga Nautiyal
on 11/18/2011 19:46 PM   

If in Pharmacopia is not specifying wether value is calculated on As Such Basis OR On Anhydrous Basis then, which calculation we will used (As Such Basis OR On Anhydrous Basis).

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Rajeshwari patel
on 11/20/2011 17:50 PM   

hi,

in this case you assy range unit is what ?  Iu? mg?please explain

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Durga Nautiyal
on 11/20/2011 18:01 PM   

Hello Raj ji,

Actually this regarding the test chloride content i.e in IP limit is mentioned 5.0-5.5%w/w, but they are not specifying wether the specs is on As Such Basis OR On Anhydrous Basis.

Regrads
Durga

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By aswini nalamalapu
on 2/28/2014 3:24 AM   

I HAVE A PROBLEM IN POTENCY CALCULATION, difference between assay on dried basis, assay on as is basis and assay on anhydrous basis? when we can calculate ssay on dried basis, assay on as is basis and assay on anhydrous basis?

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By aswini nalamalapu
on 2/28/2014 3:24 AM   

I HAVE A PROBLEM IN POTENCY CALCULATION, difference between assay on dried basis, assay on as is basis and assay on anhydrous basis? when we can calculate ssay on dried basis, assay on as is basis and assay on anhydrous basis?

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.