Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

Dot blot protocol

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

gsovak
Canada

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Topic Started by gsovak
on 11/1/2006 14:15 PM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

Hi,
I needed to do some screening for antibodies.
I found this Dot Blot protocol in the Abcam.com site.
I tried it an it works perfect

DOT BLOT PROTOCOL
A technique for detecting, analyzing, and identifying proteins, similar to the western blot technique but
differing in that protein samples are not separated electrophoretically but are spotted through circular
templates directly onto the membrane or paper substrate.
Concentration of proteins in crude preparations (such as culture supernatant) can be estimated semiquantitatively
by using Dot Blot method if you have both purified protein and specific antibody against it.
A) Reagents
TBS: 20 mM Tris-HCl, 150 mM NaCl, pH 7.5
TBS-T: 0.05% Tween20 in TBS
BSA/TBS-T: 0.1% BSA in TBS-T
Nitrocellulose membrane (BIO-RAD, Trans-Blot, etc.)
B) Procedure
1. Have nitrocellulose membrane ready, draw grid by pencil to indicate the region you are going to blot (see
below).
2. Using narrow-mouth pipet tip, spot 2 ?l of samples onto the nitrocellulose membrane at the center of the
grid. Minimize the area that the solution penetrates (usually 3-4 mm diam.) by applying it slowly.
3. Let the membrane dry.
4. Block non-specific sites by soaking in 5% BSA in TBS-T (0.5-1 hr, RT). Use 10cm Petri Dish for reaction
chamber.
5. Incubate with primary antibody (0.1-10 ?g/ml for purified antibody, 1:1000 to 1:100000 dilution for
antisera, 1:100 to 1:10000 for hybridoma supernatant) dissolved in BSA/TBS-T for 30 min at RT.
6. Wash three times with TBS-T (3 x 5 min).
7. Incubate with secondary antibody conjugated with HRP (for optimum dilution, follow the manufacturers
recommendation) for 30 min at RT.
8. Wash three times with TBS-T (15 min x 1, 5 min x 2), then once with TBS (5 min).
9. Incubate with ECL reagent for 1 min, cover with Saran-wrap (remove excessive solution from the
surface), and expose X-ray film in the dark room. Try several different lengths of exposure.
10. Compare the signal from your unknown sample to that of standard and estimate the concentration.

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.