Design engineer that applies engineering principles and fundamental scientific understanding to develop or improve material processing systems, particularly for glass melting, delivery and forming processes.
All Corning business sectors, all stages of product life from research and development to manufacturing. Emphasis will likely be on conceptual process equipment design.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
· Understand and apply sound engineering principles and fundamental scientific understanding to conceptual equipment design and technology advancement projects in the area of glass melting and forming:
· Work primarily in the fields of mechanical design, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics. Physical modeling and engineering for glass melting, delivery, and forming processes.
· Design and engineering for the energy, batch materials, and process services required for these processes. High temperature material selection and application.
· Leverage corporate expertise and quickly build personal knowledge of unfamiliar processes. Interact with and travel to Corning’s glass operations worldwide when required.
· Apply engineering analysis techniques to improve glass manufacturing processes. Recommend practical improvement solutions to real world manufacturing issues.
· Work with product and process designers to develop cost effective process machine system concepts and specifications.
· Design and change control integration with Corning’s Technology Management System.
· Lead small teams to design equipment and processes, and to conduct experiments in lab and manufacturing environment.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
· Less than 10 years industrial development or engineering experience.
· Strong knowledge of mechanical design, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics.
· Strong desire and commitment to learn Corning’s Melting, Delivery and Forming processes.
· Ability and desire to learn unfamiliar processes and scientific applications.
· Ability to develop understanding of Corning’s technologies and processes quickly.
· Experience with programming or numerical analysis of flow, structural, or thermal analysis. Relevant packages include Thermal Desktop, Fluent, ANSYS, COMSOL, and GOMA.
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment with a diverse membership.
· Solid track record of equipment design and complex technical problem solving.
· Understanding and acceptance of Corning’s Behavior expectations.
· Experience in materials processing, particularly forming.
· Experience in research, development, or engineering environment.
· Experience in intellectual property development.
· Team leadership experience or project management skills.
· 3D CAD knowledge and experience.
· Technical depth – Desire to extend personal depth in fundamental sciences and apply the knowledge for significant process benefit. Potential to develop subject matter expertise.
· Results oriented – Driven to deliver solutions to meet timelines and customer needs.
· Good communication and presentation skills – Able to communicate with wide range of individuals from research thru manufacturing.
· Mentor / coach junior engineers and scientists.
Travel is required to Corning’s worldwide operations. Amount varies according to project stage and level of expertise required. Travel will include installation and process commissioning supervision.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40 hrs, Monday-Friday
Apply online at:
Please search with the Reference Number: 170315
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems. Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture. A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting. We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world .R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.