Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Anatomy and Physiology » Electrophysiology » Window-current

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

Window-current

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

spirit
Hungary

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by spirit
on 3/12/2006 15:01 PM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

Hello!
What does mean exactly "window-current" (for example window current of Na-current in heart).

Replies
Richard Taylor
United Kingdom

Send PM
See Mini bio

Staff
Posted By Richard Taylor
on 3/13/2006 5:56 AM   

As for a direct answer:
Window current: Small range of voltages where T-type (Transiant) channels can open, but do not inactivate completely. REF

This Newsgroup posting has a good discussion.

There are potassium channels and chloride channels that have been
identified and cloned and visualized in single channel studies, that are
relatively Ohmic in their I-V responses, so these would be prime
candidates for "leak" channels. Note that these channels are NOT always
open (if they were, you probably couldn't identify them easily in single
channel studies). However, another way the leak can arise through
channels is through something known as a window current. Here's what that
means:

Voltage-gated channels are both "activated" and "inactivated" by voltage.
That is, if you step from a constant holding potential to various
activating potentials, you can get a conductance vs voltage curve that
starts at zero conductance and increases sigmoidally. If instead, you
start from various "test potentials" and jump to a fixed activating
voltage, you get an "inactivation" curve (or "h-infinity curve") that
starts at a high level of availability and DECREASES sigmoidally. These
two curves cross over each other at some potential, and the area under
this intersection is a region where the channel would be open with some
finite probability at steady-state. The window current region for the
Hodgkin-Huxley k-channel is in fact near the resting potential for the
squid axon, and if you take the HH equations and remove the "leak" term,
you still wind up with a similar resting potential because of this window
in the potassium channel activation/inactivation curves.

RedBull
China

Send PM
See Mini bio

Tadpole
Posted By RedBull
on 4/2/2006 14:45 PM   

OIC.

Window current means the small range of voltage where T-type channels can open but not inactivate completely.

As with my study, I only know that the window current means the current range between the complete inactivation and the starting of activation.

Be honest, i'm not sure if my answer is right.

littlebush
China

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By littlebush
on 6/22/2006 13:57 PM   

I have been also puzzled by this term previous but now I got it.The window current is that by theoraticlaly in accordance with the H-H mode,the T should be inactivated completedly.However,by real experiment,judged by the activation and inactivation curve,there is real inactivating T channels so it is predicted that the H-H model is not well applied in this regard and there should be some inactivating channel due to unknown reasons .Above is the explaination for window currents suitable for any channels.Hope my answer will help you.

A hour in the library can save you a whole week in laboratory!

Haste makes waste!

littlebush
China

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By littlebush
on 6/22/2006 14:01 PM   

I want to add some.In my opinion,the most important one in understandind the window current is that within a certain voltage range,there is tonic current flux.

A hour in the library can save you a whole week in laboratory!

Haste makes waste!

hyunjoe
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By hyunjoe
on 11/9/2006 9:22 AM   

Window current means the small range of voltage where T-type channels can open but not inactivate completely.

This is right and can be visualized by the superimposition of steady-state activation and inactivation curves. The voltage range determined by the crossing of these two curves is associated with a sustained current (that is not exclusively reserved to T-type calcium channels). So, although voltage-gated channels are thought to inactivate (for example, T-channels and some Na Channels generate transient currents), a sustained current could be generated by this window current only if the membrane potential is close to the voltage range defined above.

This is a theorical view of the window current and actually it has never been measured directly (except recently). But you can have some more details in PubMed (Chevalier et al., 2006).

Marc Chevalier

T-type calcium channels
Rhythm generation
Absence & Temporal Lobe Epilepsy
Respiration
Human, mice and cell lines electrophysiological recordings

ArexArif
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By ArexArif
on 12/20/2008 1:10 AM   

I am curious, What do you think would be the physiological consequences of a prolonged window current. ( by prolonged I mean, both in the range and amplitude of overlap.)

I came across this in cardiac myocytes, so I am thinking a prolonged plateau phase?

what concrete physiologic analysis can we make of it?
Thanks for the help!
x-

hyunjoe
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By hyunjoe
on 12/21/2008 0:14 AM   

This is a interesting question. If the window current is increase in amplitude, I would argue that it increase the ability of the channel to create spontaneously the current that would allow a sustained depolarization. If the window current increase in the range of potentials in which it is generated, in this case, that would increase the membrane potentials at which this depolarization would occur. This is for example what we have as a result in unpublished data for T-type calcium channels, with an hyperexcitability mediated by an increase of the window current.

Concerning the heart, and cardiac myocytes, all depends on which channel you refer to. If it is concerning T-type channels which expression can be found, in this case, I would not think about the plateau phase of the cardiac action potential, since the potential value at which it occurs would be then too depolarized to be sustained by the T-type window current. However, if you refer to the L-type current, then it may be involved in increasing the current flowing through these channels for the plateau, resulting in a longer plateau phase. This depends on the rage of potentials you may record your window current related to the potentials at which you may have your plateau.

To have more details on T-type window current, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16706840?ordinalpos=3&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

A description is made on the consequences of modifying the potential range of the window current on the membrane potential variations. There, the plateau phase is dependent on another properties of channels (deactivation).

Hope that helps

Marc Chevalier

T-type calcium channels
Rhythm generation
Absence & Temporal Lobe Epilepsy
Respiration
Human, mice and cell lines electrophysiological recordings

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.

Click here to
Become a member & join our
community (It's easy & free)
Already a member? Please log in
User Name  
Password  
Forget Password?
Scientists
Not finding the answer you need?

Post a new topic

You must be logged in to post. Log in above.
Not a member yet? Click here to register
(it's free)
Thank You to Our Sponsor