Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Cytology, Histology and IHC » Immunohistochemistry/ Immunocytochemistry » fixation of tissues using 4% paraformaldehyde

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

fixation of tissues using 4% paraformaldehyde

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

kachang
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by kachang
on 5/23/2011 2:21 AM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

I am fixing rat ovary using 4% paraformaldehye for IHC.tissues are not intact but nick and crack appears around the tissues  on sectioning.what exact steps and timings should i follow.pls help

Last edited May 29, 2012, 4:07 AM by pundir
Replies
pundir
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By pundir
on 5/23/2011 18:45 PM   

Hi,
the fixation time depends on thickness of your tissue, for rat ovary overnight would be enough also check the pH of PFA , clarify how you are processing your tissue after fixation means are you going for cryosectioning or paraffin sectioning if cryo then are you going for cryoprotection in 30 % sucrose befoere sectioning.............elaborate your querry for further help

impossible! let's do it................

kachang
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By kachang
on 5/27/2011 2:01 AM   

thank u pundir. the ovary size is about 3cm x 3cm, PFA of pH7.4, and tissue processed in paraffin.tissue fixed for 72 hours as tissue doesnt get fixed in 24 or 48 hrs.fixed tissue are processed as follows: PBS 1x wash - 3x -30 min each dehydration in alcohol series of 30%,50% -30 min each, 70% -overnight, 90%,100% -30 min each, 100%:xylene-20min xylene I & II -20 min each Xylene : wax - 45 min wax I & II - 45 min each wax III - 1 hr embedding

drgaju.15
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By drgaju.15
on 2/28/2012 15:07 PM   

hai
can any body tell me 4% paraformaldehyde and 10% formalin is same or different

thanks

Matizales
Spain

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Matizales
on 5/29/2012 0:30 AM   

Hello,

I hope you solve your doubts.
Anyway, 4% formalin and 10% formalin is the same, as it comes from 35-37'5% and you could consider it as 4% (37%) or 10% if you add 9 times solvent.
Paraformaldehyde is the polymer and you can consider it in the same way. You will use PFA when the fixation concentration is critical.

Good luck,

Pedro

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.