Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Analytical Chemistry » Methods » EDTA

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

EDTA

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by lakshminarayana
on 4/30/2011 19:15 PM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

dear sir, can u explain difference between Molarity and normality of EDTA ,in water analysis of my sop  we use Molarity of EDTA instead of normality .maximum acid base titrations we use noramlity in my sop.in whcih cases we use molarity and normality.

Replies
Suola
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Suola
on 5/1/2011 14:01 PM   

lakshminarayana,

Molarity of a compound is defined as number of particles per volume. Normality of a compound is context-dependent and is always some integer multiple of molarity, so that normality = x * molarity. The "x" depends on the context, but in general it tells what is the stoichiometry in some chemical reaction (if it goes to completion).

Using EDTA as an example, it has 4 acidic groups, so one EDTA molecule can lose 4 protons, and x = 4.

H4-EDTA <-> EDTA + 4H

When dealing with Calcium chelation, one EDTA molecule can only bind one Calcium, thus x = 1.

EDTA + Ca <-> Ca-EDTA

Hence, 1 mM (one millimolar) EDTA solution is 4 mN (four millinormal) in acid-base titration and 1 mN (one millinormal) in Calcium titration.

Actually, when you calculate reaction stoichiometries, you use normality all the time, it is just that when you do water analysis (I assume this has something to do about metal chelation), x = 1, and the normality and molarity have the same value.

Cheers,

Certainty of death, small chance of success... What are we waiting for? - Gimli

Last edited May 01, 2011, 20:19 PM by Suola

Metals Man
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Metals Man
on 9/20/2013 14:36 PM   

Normality does not equal molarity in this case!

Remember, normality is reaction specific and is based on the number of protons exchanged in the balanced chemical equation.  Even though there is a one to one molecular equivalence, EDTA exchanges 2 protons to neutralize one divalent calcium cation (Ca++), therefore, by definition, EDTA normality is actually twice the molarity (for this particular reaction). 

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/chemistry/MolarityMolalityNormality.html

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.

Click here to
Become a member & join our
community (It's easy & free)
Already a member? Please log in
User Name  
Password  
Forget Password?
Scientists
Not finding the answer you need?

Post a new topic

You must be logged in to post. Log in above.
Not a member yet? Click here to register
(it's free)
Thank You to Our Sponsor