Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » RNA » Equipment » best real time PCR machines

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

best real time PCR machines

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

Send PM
See Mini bio

Tadpole
Topic Started by Big E
on 11/18/2004 18:07 PM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

I would like to know who provides the best and most economical real time PCR machines on the market?

Replies
Aimee
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Aimee
on 1/3/2005 19:31 PM   

I have spent the last few months researching real time PCR instruments, I I have been most impresses with the Cepheid Smart Cycler II. It has the broadest detection, excitation range, is fully licenses and has 16 independantly progammable channels. The best part is you can buy a system for under $40,000. I am about to buy one myself.

marcia
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Adult Frog
Posted By marcia
on 1/4/2005 20:57 PM   

Aimee,

Do you have a number for Cepheid?

Thanks,
Marcia

"Some men see things as they are and say why.
I dream things that never were and say why not."
Robert F. Kennedy

"I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways that do not work, and I do not need to try them again." Thomas Edison

"Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?" Martin Luther King, Jr

"Be the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi

Mystic
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Mystic
on 3/15/2005 19:52 PM   

The Smart Cycler is a great platfrom, but the drawback is sample preparations. Each sample is prepared in its own reaction tube that requires simple, but special handling. Out of curiousity, how many reaction sites are you going to purchase for that price of $40K? Here is Cephiads site.

I prefer the BioRad iCycler iQ platform. It uses a 96-well format and is fairly simple to use. Tech support and saleshas been top notch. I believe the unit runs at about $50K

functional genome
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By functional genome
on 3/18/2005 18:43 PM   

Bio-Rad has systems that range from 19K through 34K complete. All are 96 well systems that use standard consumables. I recently received a quote for the 4 target multiplex iCycler iQ for 34,500 with a computer.

smartee
Israel

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By smartee
on 3/19/2005 6:25 AM   

Most definitely Stratagene. I used the iCycler from BioRad before our lab bought Stratagenes MX3000P, and the latter became everyones favorite. The software is much better, and the detection is more sensitive. The only backdraws are the lack of a temp gradient function, and it being a bit noisy, but most likely they have fixed the noise issue on the newer machines. And it was ~$25K for a 4-fluorophore-capable machine. Also a huge advantage over the iCycler--it never needs calibration, while BioRad's and some other models require you to run a calibration plate every time you use a new filter.

labrat
England

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By labrat
on 5/5/2005 6:35 AM   

We've had excellent results with the roche lightcycler. It's easy to use, gives consistent results and looks fairly funky too!

rtbenn
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By rtbenn
on 6/24/2005 14:21 PM   

smartee said:
Most definitely Stratagene. I used the iCycler from BioRad before our lab bought Stratagenes MX3000P, and the latter became everyones favorite. The software is much better, and the detection is more sensitive. The only backdraws are the lack of a temp gradient function, and it being a bit noisy, but most likely they have fixed the noise issue on the newer machines. And it was ~$25K for a 4-fluorophore-capable machine. Also a huge advantage over the iCycler--it never needs calibration, while BioRad's and some other models require you to run a calibration plate every time you use a new filter.

Smartee,

You may want to re-think about "nevering calibrating" the instrument... Depending on what you're doing of course.

smartee
Israel

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By smartee
on 8/25/2005 5:04 AM   

Actually, the way it works, it doesn't need any calibration. Maybe a cleaning once in a few years, but certainly no calibration plates. Also, these use standard tubes and 96-well plates, and work with any commercially available mixes. I used Invitrogen's real time reagents before, but recently switched to Stratagene's fast mix, and it really helps save time. A typical run with those reagents is about 45 minutes vs. 1:45 with traditional mixes.

reem kj
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By reem kj
on 7/13/2006 20:19 PM   

i worked on the cobas ampliprep which do both extraction and amplification its very good in infection detection and research !

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By pharmacogenomics
on 12/26/2006 18:09 PM   

You can check Corbett Reserch for Rotor-Gene for real-time PCR. They have different configurations and price range is wide depending on the set of functions. For instance, some configurations have HRM function (high-resolution melt) for mutation detection. There are PCR-machines with 2, 5, and even 6 (if i remember correctly) channels. As I saw while studing the real-tiem PCR equipment market, the price for Rotor-Gene is very competitive towards the other machines. And a litle bit more - as for me, the design is very nice :)
BTW, does somebody here used Rotor-Gene in the practice?

zulINFORMM
Malaysia

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By zulINFORMM
on 4/11/2007 22:29 PM   

My supervisor ask me to make some investigation about realtime PCR. Right now im considering to choose between Corbett RS3000 and ABI model. i will be involved with SNP analysis using realtime PCR machine. can anyone help me to choose the best realtimePCR for SNP analysis-value for money of course.

junli
Singapore

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By junli
on 4/22/2009 23:52 PM   

Any comment on ABI system? I am looking for a new real time PCR machine for my lab as well. We already have Roche LightCycler version 1.2 and 2.0 in my lab and are currently looking for a block based real time PCR instrument. ABI seems quite popular among research and diagnostic labs.

We did an evaluation on Biorad iCycler before, it was an end-point PCR machine but eventually it can be upgraded to a real time platform. The system got stuck and hung during the evaluation, hence we dropped it from our list.

Roche LC480 could be another choice but it's rather expensive and we are required to use their specific 96 well plate, not flexible and quite pricey as well.

ARGERINE
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By ARGERINE
on 4/22/2009 23:56 PM   

We have ABI real time PCR in our facility. ABI 7500.

Its working fine howevr there are few upgraded models for the same available. you can choose according to your budget.

Gaganjot Singh

Truth seems so closer now......

heehawmcduff
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By heehawmcduff
on 4/23/2009 9:34 AM   

In my old lab, they had a lightcycler which is apparently really good although I never used it.

https://www.roche-applied-science.com/lightcycler-online/

Page:1   << Prev 1 2  Next >>
Total Pages: 2
As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.

Click here to
Become a member & join our
community (It's easy & free)
Already a member? Please log in
User Name  
Password  
Forget Password?
Scientists
Not finding the answer you need?

Post a new topic

You must be logged in to post. Log in above.
Not a member yet? Click here to register
(it's free)
Thank You to Our Sponsor

The Latest Events