Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Microbiology » Assay Development & Protocols » Mycoplasma contamination

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

Mycoplasma contamination

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

gsovak
Canada

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Topic Started by gsovak
on 1/6/2006 17:35 PM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

Hi all,
I got a big problem,
I got a Mycoplasma contamination in BHK cells,
2 question?
1- How do I get rid of Mycoplasma,
2- What is the best way to be sure that it is indeed Mycoplasma?
Guy

Replies
Richard Taylor
United Kingdom

Send PM
See Mini bio

Staff
Posted By Richard Taylor
on 1/7/2006 2:46 AM   

If possible the answer really has to be throw everything away, disinfect and start again with fresh cells.

If you absolutely have to get into it then there are PCR detection kits, and reagents such as Mynox from http://www.minerva-biolabs.com/

Send PM
See Mini bio

Froglet
Posted By omid
on 1/6/2006 18:50 PM   

gsovak said:
Hi all,
I got a big problem,
I got a Mycoplasma contamination in BHK cells,
2 question?
1- How do I get rid of Mycoplasma,
2- What is the best way to be sure that it is indeed Mycoplasma?
Guy

Invitrogen has a kit to remove mycoplasma. If you have a very important cell line you can't throw away like some kind of rare hybridoma, you can try this:

PlasmocinThe Mycoplasma Removal Agent

Description

Elimination of Mycoplasma from Cell Culture
Plasmocin contains two newly developed bactericidal components strongly active against mycoplasma and related cell wall-less bacteria. Plasmocin can be used to both treat and prevent mycoplasma contamination in cell cultures.

Outstanding Efficiency
Plasmocin's potent activity comes from two unique bactericidal components. The first component acts on the protein synthesis machinery by interfering with ribosome translation. The second acts on the DNA replication by interfering with the replication fork. These two specific and separate targets are found only in mycoplasma and many other bacteria and are completely absent in eukaryotic cells.
Comparison of Plasmocin with the most common anti-mycoplasma agents.

No Recurrence of Mycoplasma Contamination
Plasmocin, in contrast to other anti-mycoplasma compounds, is active both on free mycoplasma as well as intracellular forms. This advantage is conferred by one component of Plasmocin which is actively transported into mammalian cells. It ensures that following treatment with Plasmocin a cell culture is not reinfected by mycoplasma released from intracellular compartments of infected cells.

gsovak
Canada

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By gsovak
on 1/9/2006 9:08 AM   

Thank you all for your answers.
I guess the best thing will be to start thoes new cell lines.
I looked into it and it seems that i indeed got some thing going there.
Guy

samm
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Status: Cell & Tissue Culture, Antibody Technologies Moderator
Frog Laureate
Posted By samm
on 1/9/2006 23:16 PM   

Use Normocin, Plasmocin or MRA for about three-four weeks, and split your cells as frequently as you can.
Also, do DAPI stains everytime and observe carefully - mycoplasma can be seen if they are there.
Finally, to confirm removal after four weeks, it might be best to have a PCR typing done.

gsovak
Canada

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By gsovak
on 1/10/2006 9:10 AM   

Thanks once again,
I did DAPI.
I will do as you say samm.
Guy

vanishing
Austria

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By vanishing
on 1/12/2006 15:21 PM   

I guess Richard Taylor's advice to throw away the cells is the best. If you are not really making stable cell lines, start from thawing cells.
And DO inform your colleagues who are using the same incubator, laminar flow, solutions to do the same if possible. Otherwise you will be passing them back and forth.

p.s.: how did you notice you had them?

BoricAcid
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By BoricAcid
on 1/20/2006 10:17 AM   

We have used Plasmocin on mouse ES cells and come out successfully on the other side. Unfortunately, it is not definatively known if Plasmocin causes mutations.

It is easiest to throw everything away and disinfect (also make sure your tissue culture room has positive airflow) but it CAN be done!
Also, we used the PCR kit to check our other cell lines as well as to make sure the mycoplasma was truly gone.

BoricAcid

gsovak
Canada

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By gsovak
on 1/20/2006 10:59 AM   

I am happy for all of the responces.
Eventualy what I did is
to Start from the begining.
I am not sure that all the treatments helped and that they didnt cause any mutation.
So,
I cleaned the incubators and started from step one.
Thanks to all
GUy

Elemental
Australia

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Elemental
on 11/27/2012 21:13 PM   

Dear gsovak,

Plasmapheresis is used to remove mycoplasma out of cells.
However, how is it removed from tissue.... Real human tissue.
I can't find the answer on the net.

elemental

Multiplexion
Germany

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Multiplexion
on 2/22/2013 12:09 PM   

You can find a detailed protocol for Mycoplasma elimination at Multiplexion webpage.

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.