Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Analytical Chemistry » Chromatography » Formic/acetic acid by HPLC

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

Formic/acetic acid by HPLC

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

aliciaA
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by aliciaA
on 12/20/2005 19:47 PM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

I am trying to quantitate formic acid and acetic acid by HPLC/UV and I am seeing inconsistant responses from my standards. I'm using 210nm on the detector, but I've also seen 220nm used. Wouls this work better?

I am working with ppm levels and keeping the standards at 2-8C, so I don't think that volitaization is a problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies
anonymous

See Mini bio

Posted By anonymous
on 1/5/2006 15:19 PM   

What kind of column/mobile phase are you using?

You might find these links useful:

For reversed phase columns, Hamilton has these application notes
http://www.hamiltoncomp.com/cgi-shl/proc.exe/hcoc?applist2212

also Alltech makes a column specially for organic acid separations
http://www.alltechweb.com/productinfo/prevail/prevail.asp

ptekale
United Kingdom

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By ptekale
on 7/13/2006 15:11 PM   

DEAR FRIEND
your proble is very familier. you can carry out the analysis of acetic acid and formic acid by GC using DB-624 COLUMN. injecting a injection volume of 2 ul.
work in this direction you will be definitely successful.

HPLC AT 210 nad 220 will be definitly give you more inconsistancy.

best of luck

Dr. Prafullachandra tekale, Ph.D. (UDCT)

dhruvil
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By dhruvil
on 11/23/2006 7:22 AM   

ptekale said:
DEAR FRIEND
your proble is very familier. you can carry out the analysis of acetic acid and formic acid by GC using DB-624 COLUMN. injecting a injection volume of 2 ul.
work in this direction you will be definitely successful.

HPLC AT 210 nad 220 will be definitly give you more inconsistancy.

best of luck

my request is to "ptekale".
I m working with a pharma company(in R & D) and i m also facing the same problem with the quantification of acetic acid and formic acid. i have tried a lot for developing this method on GC but i failed to do so.

Can u please guide me bout he procedure and the analytical conditions for Gas chromatography that i need to maintain for the quantification of this molecules.

thx
regards,
Dhruvil

naveen.nn
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By naveen.nn
on 7/15/2010 3:23 AM   

Dear friend,

Try it out by Gas chrmatography in CB05 columns. Instead of direct injection, dilute with some solvents like Methylene dichloride.

Best regards
NAVEEN.N.N.

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Santosh@India
on 7/22/2010 4:38 AM   

Please test the compatability of your HPLC column before injecting high acidic analyte , strong acidic compound results in to column oozing => results in to inconsistant responce. In your case this may be the reason.Use the column able to withstand such low pH.

gradlab
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By gradlab
on 2/2/2012 11:42 AM   

@ ptekale:  I know this is late but I have a question for you.  I am trying to quantitate formic acid using a DB-624 column.  I have been unable to find it.  I have tried using a TCD & a FID with little success.  Could you please tell me what detector and oven tem you used?  Thanks so much!

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.

Click here to
Become a member & join our
community (It's easy & free)
Already a member? Please log in
User Name  
Password  
Forget Password?
Scientists
Not finding the answer you need?

Post a new topic

You must be logged in to post. Log in above.
Not a member yet? Click here to register
(it's free)
Thank You to Our Sponsor