Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Antibody Based Technologies » Assay Development & Protocols » antigen masking of actin prior to phalloidin stain

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

antigen masking of actin prior to phalloidin stain

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

CATFARTS
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by CATFARTS
on 9/7/2010 10:53 AM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

Hi all,
I have a situation where I am looking at a protein that has a cytoskeletal-like distribution when visualized by IF (looks like it's on stress fibers). When I try applying a phalloidin conjugated fluor after immunostaining for my protein, the actin staining is pretty dim and mostly absent from the regions stained for my protein. Cells not pre-stained for IF have robust staining at the same concentration of phalloidin, and have actin staining in the regions that my protein would presumptively be. I am almost positive that the IF against my protein-of-interest is masking the actin from the phalloidin in the former situation. Does anyone have any creative solutions for establishing colocalization in these circumstances.

Protocol info:
primary Ab: affinity purified Rabbit Ab (1:40) (in house)
Secondary: Gt-a-Rb Alexa 488 (1:200) (Mol Probes)
Phalloidin Alexa 568 (1:500) (Mol Probes)

Cells on cover glass
Fix: 4% PFA in PBS 15 min RT
Permb: 0.1% TX-100, 0.1% BSA in PBS 12 min RT
Block & Ab/phal: 0.1% BSA, 5% NGS in PBS
     block 1 hr RT
     primary O/N @ 4 C  (3x washes)
     secondary 1 hr RT   (3x washes)
     phalloidin 1 hr RT (3x washes)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

David

Last edited Sep 07, 2010, 14:55 PM by CATFARTS
Replies
Pippuri
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Pippuri
on 9/7/2010 13:17 PM   

Hi David,

Have you tried to alter the staining sequence, says first stain with phalloidin, then add Ab against protein of your interest?? I wonder how does it look like...

CATFARTS
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By CATFARTS
on 9/8/2010 9:41 AM   

I will be trying that and perhaps a couple other variations on the sequence of reagents(e.g. phalloidin and primary together and phalloidin and secondary together) to see what happens.

Thanks for your comment

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.