Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Cell Culture and Tissue Culture » Proliferation/Apoptosis » Calculation of Doubling Time

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

Calculation of Doubling Time

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

Weathered
Ireland

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by Weathered
on 3/29/2010 4:30 AM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

Hi all,

I've been looking in the archives to get a method of accurately measuring cell doubling time and I found posts that pointed to this website here.

Seems very useful, however, when i plug in the following data for an experiment ........

...... it generates a graph giving an equation of ......... "amount=946090.4145*e0.0307*time"

My problem is that when I plug the same data into excel and generate the graph there with an exponential trendline, the equation comes out as ......... y = 664510e0.0362x

Using the "doubling time = ln(2)/growth rate" formula, this results in quite a different answer.

Can anyone explain the discrepancy to me? Does the website use a different trendline calculation?

Many thanks

Replies
Suola
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Suola
on 3/29/2010 7:15 AM   

Weathered,

The reason for differing parameters could be the way the datapoints are weighed in the regression process. In the Mathworld page (link from the Doubling Time's page) they say that they use form of the target function where the weight of the datapoints is evenly distributed among all the datapoints.
Excel maybe uses the version of the target function in which the datapoints in the lower end of the range are weighed more... If you compare the curves from these two programs, it indeed looks like in Excel's fit, the curve fits the early datapoints better than that of Doubling Time's and diverges more at the end.

The doubling times (22.5 in Doubling Time vs. 19.1 in Excel) are reasonable close for this noisy data. If you are doing cell counting for some analytical purposes and want to be super careful about the values, you should count the cell number in duplicate or triplicate for each time point and weight the data with the averages and use the inverse of the standard deviation as a weighing factor. It would also help to have at least one more datapoint between each of the 20 hour intervals, because the measuring interval should be way smaller than the time constant of the system (here doubling time).

Note also that the cell doubling time is constant (or close to constant) only at the logarithmic phase of the growth. There is a lag period and upper plateau as well which do not fit to the exponential curve at all and which should not be included in the fitting.

Cheers,

Certainty of death, small chance of success... What are we waiting for? - Gimli

Last edited Mar 29, 2010, 9:38 AM by Suola

Weathered
Ireland

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Weathered
on 3/29/2010 12:08 PM   

Hi Suola,

Thanks for a great explaination!

So, for the lag and plateau phases, would you simply eliminate the data points from the calculation?

Do you just eyeball the data to see what points to eliminate or is there a more robust way to identify the log growth phase?

Many thanks!

samm
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Status: Cell & Tissue Culture, Antibody Technologies Moderator
Frog Laureate
Posted By samm
on 4/1/2010 11:20 AM   

Suola, thanks again for that fab explanation.
Weathered, as for your second question, graphing software such as Prizm (and maybe the 'new' Excel with the Math/Analysis toolpak) can do modal curve fitting, to give you a very accurate log phase equation, and sort-of-acceptible ones for lag/plateau.

Suola
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Suola
on 4/2/2010 6:01 AM   

Weathered, Samm,

Sorry for my absence and delay in replying...

Indeed, in order to get the doubling time, you should take into account only the logarithmic phase... Here are links to some papers and tutorials...

http://www.bdbiosciences.com/external_files/dl/doc/tech_bulletin/live/web_enabled/tb438.pdf
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/28023447/APPENDIX-I-Determination-of-doubling-time/
http://www.mpi-bremen.de/Binaries/Binary5381/Wachstumsversuch%283%29.pdf
http://media.wiley.com/product_data/excerpt/59/04716293/0471629359.pdf

Cheers,

Certainty of death, small chance of success... What are we waiting for? - Gimli

Weathered
Ireland

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Weathered
on 4/7/2010 3:52 AM   

Thanks all, I'll install that math toolpack on excel and see how it goes.

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.

Click here to
Become a member & join our
community (It's easy & free)
Already a member? Please log in
User Name  
Password  
Forget Password?
Scientists
Not finding the answer you need?

Post a new topic

You must be logged in to post. Log in above.
Not a member yet? Click here to register
(it's free)
Thank You to Our Sponsor