Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » General » Miscellaneous » Scientific Personality Assessment

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

Scientific Personality Assessment

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

natekarle
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by natekarle
on 9/9/2005 10:32 AM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

Has anyone taken this?

---------excerpt-------

The Human Side of Science: What is the Archetypal Researcher Personality?

Are there some personalities that are better suited than others to a scientific career? To provide insight into this issue, The Science Advisory Board created the first-ever psychological profile of life science researchers, the Scientific Personality Assessment (http://scienceboard.net/151.new.html).

The assessment is meant to help scientists better evaluate their strengths and assets as well as confront the particular challenges they face in their everyday work life. The goal is not to suggest that one personality type is better than another or that having specific character traits will engender more professional success, but rather to encourage people to align their professional aspirations with their own particular blend of expertise and skills. A summary of results based on recent participants has been posted at: www.scienceboard.net

Replies
labrat
England

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By labrat
on 9/10/2005 9:52 AM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

I found this really interesting. I came out as an organiser, which is pretty much spot on.

I'm quite interested in how different types of people react together within a lab so it would be interesting to get other people in my group to have a go as well.

You are an Organizer

Organizers are defined by their methodical, traditional and pragmatic approach to scientific research. These highly intellectual individuals are soft-spoken and typically refrain from expressing their feelings, not wanting to overtly influence another's opinion or analysis of experimental results. However, this does not mean that an organizer does not feel strongly about the meaning of the data in question organizers can be very particular and often judgmental of others, especially when a colleague's assumption contradicts his or her own.

Organizers thrive on facts and data. Because of the extensive detail they require of any task, organizers prefer to work on only a few research projects at a time. They are extremely cautious decision-makers and have a tendency to analyze problems from multiple anglesbut their final analysis is routinely based upon very sound judgment. Although organizers are notoriously dependable, they prefer working independently since their desire for order can become problematic in a team environment where everyone's opinion counts.

Other scientific personas may find that the organizer to be too demanding. Organizers are perfectionists and are bothered by careless mistakes. They become frustrated and sometimes procrastinate when they must make a decision and sufficient facts are not available, or the quality of the available data does not meet their high standards. Organizers strive for high levels of accuracy and precision in their own work, and expect the same from colleagues and suppliers.

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.

Click here to
Become a member & join our
community (It's easy & free)
Already a member? Please log in
User Name  
Password  
Forget Password?
Scientists
Not finding the answer you need?

Post a new topic

You must be logged in to post. Log in above.
Not a member yet? Click here to register
(it's free)
Thank You to Our Sponsor

The Latest Events

No events found.