Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

qPCR for diagnosis

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

Cool
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by Cool
on 8/13/2009 11:20 AM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

Hi! I am a clinical microbiologist with experience only in the basic PCR. I would like to introduce real time PCR into our diagnostic work flow. Could anyone please tell me the manufacturers of diagnostic qPCR kits for infectious diseases like tuberculosis, HSV, influenza, especially the recent H1N1 influenza virus. Also, I need suggestions for buying a new PCR machine. I will require 96 well plate as well as ability to run single tests. I am totally lost in the area of selecting the filters required, chemistries supported etc. Can some one with experience in diagnostic work let me know which are the common systems used by different diagnostic kit manufacturers? Any information available is appreciated. Thankyou very much.

Replies
TheFFM
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Status: Administrator & Neuroscience, Biophysics, and Microscopy Moderator
Administrator & Neuroscience, Biophysics, and Microscopy Moderator

Cool
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Cool
on 8/13/2009 20:13 PM   

Thanks TheFFM, that was a fantastic collection. From one of the links, I found a machine 'exicycler' by Bioneer which seem to be quite economical and having a wide range of functions.

http://eng.bioneer.com/bioneer.html?!products/Exicycler.html

But I could not find any reviews or any mention of it in the discussions on the best real-time PCR machine on this site. Do you have any experience or information on this machine?

Last edited Aug 13, 2009, 22:16 PM by Cool

TheFFM
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Status: Administrator & Neuroscience, Biophysics, and Microscopy Moderator
Administrator & Neuroscience, Biophysics, and Microscopy Moderator
Posted By TheFFM
on 8/14/2009 11:19 AM   

I'm sorry

I dont have any personal experience with that machine.  I hope someone who does will add to this dicussion soon.

"Nothing shocks me.....I'm a scientist!" Indiana Jones

Ivan
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Ivan
on 8/14/2009 8:21 AM   

Hi Cool,

Unfortunately it is going to be hard finding some information on the Exicycler, in part because it is not available in the US.
Good luck getting some feedback, and if you decide to go with it hopefully it is a good instrument (I've never heard anything about it). 

Ivan Delgado Orlic Carlsbad, CA

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.