Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Analytical Chemistry » Environmental Analysis: HPLC & HPLC-MS » HPLC COLUMN SELECTION

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

HPLC COLUMN SELECTION

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

mohd
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Tadpole
Topic Started by mohd
on 7/29/2009 8:27 AM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

1 HOW WE WILL SELECT A COLUMN FOR HPLC ANALYSIS.
2 MOLECULE IS ACIDIC IN NATUREOR BASIC IN NATURE/NEUTRAL IN NATURE.
3 IN WICH CASES WE WILL USE CN /NH2/PHENYL COLUMS.

Replies
Dr. Analytical
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Dr. Analytical
on 7/29/2009 11:15 AM   
There are many "Column Selection Guides" on the internet.  Search for "HPLC Column Selection Guide" and look through the options.

Here are some general rules:

• To get a separation you must have some interaction with the stationary phase.  So, choose a stationary phase that is "like" your molecules.  If your compounds have many carbons, or differ in the number of carbons, choose a stationary phase with carbon (C18, C8, phenyl).  This works well for molecules that are soluble in solvents such as acetonitrile, methanol, etc.
  • Acids and bases can be difficult to separate.  The "neutral" form is usually retained more on a reversed phase (C18) column, while the "ionic" form is not retained as much.  You control the pH so that you have the compounds in the proper form.
  • A phenyl column is used when you have aromatic compounds that you are trying to separate.  The NH2 and CN columns can be used for separating polar organic molecules such as sugars.
You would need to give us more information before we could provide any more help.

kishoreHPLC
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By kishoreHPLC
on 3/9/2010 9:37 AM   

hello sir i have a non polar compound whose molecular weight is 488.01 and its solubility in water is 0.008 g/liter. so please let me now how to select a column depending on polarity of compound. mostly we use reverse phase columns.

Dr. Analytical
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Dr. Analytical
on 3/20/2010 10:23 AM   

If your column is "non polar" then a reversed phase (C18) column should work.  Since this has a high molecular weight, you may want to consider a C8 column, which will produce less retention.

Ebram
Egypt

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Ebram
on 4/20/2010 2:56 AM   

Dear all,
i wanna start RPC method development for a certain protein with a molecular weight of (300KDa) i have no idea about the exact polarity .

I've already started an overview gradient with C4 (214TP54) (4.6 x 250mm) but all what i got just huge peak directly after the peak front as if that there is nothing retained.

Could the pore size of the column is the problem since large proteins need wide pore to give a chance for separation ! ..
or
just its a matter of hydrophobicity and it has nothing to do with the pore size?

thanks in advance

Last edited Apr 20, 2010, 4:57 AM by Ebram

Dr. Analytical
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Dr. Analytical
on 4/20/2010 9:10 AM   

Please give us more information about your system: column manufacturer and brand name, mobile phase gradient, including flow rate, and detector settings.

Most protein separations are performed on "wide pore" columns.  These columns usually have a pore size of 300 Angstroms.  If you use a small pore column, the protein can not migrate into the pores, and can not be retained well.  It then comes out early.  This may be what you are seeing.

Also, a C4 column is not very retentive, and is best only for very hydrophobic proteins, and your gradient conditions will be important.

Ebram
Egypt

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Ebram
on 4/21/2010 2:40 AM   

I am using Vydac C4 column with pore size 300 Angstrome mobile phase are pure water and pure ACN each with 0.1% TFA  gradient is usual overview gradient 5%-95% through 40min.
system : shimadzu LC2010
thanks in advance

Dr. Analytical
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Dr. Analytical
on 4/21/2010 10:03 AM   

From this information, I think you have a less hydrophobic protein.  Try using a C8 or C18 column

If you do not have other columns, you could try your separation at other pH values.  For example, try using ammonium formate at about pH 6.

viKI_14
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By viKI_14
on 11/6/2011 23:08 PM   

Which data of a sample must be collect for column selection and for buffer solution for mobile phase preparation?  and please tell me the chemistry of distribution and elution of sample solution from column in reverse phase liquid chromatography. 

Last edited Nov 07, 2011, 1:19 AM by viKI_14

Dr. Analytical
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By Dr. Analytical
on 8/17/2012 8:42 AM   

There are too many questions to answer.  I suggest that you find a reference book on HPLC method development or attend a training class to learn more about HPLC.

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.

Click here to
Become a member & join our
community (It's easy & free)
Already a member? Please log in
User Name  
Password  
Forget Password?
Scientists
Not finding the answer you need?

Post a new topic

You must be logged in to post. Log in above.
Not a member yet? Click here to register
(it's free)
Thank You to Our Sponsor