Mar 26, 2010 Views: 2042
WWF Earth Hour #earthhour #wwfus #climate
On March 27, 2010 at 8:30 p.m. I’ll be doing something to save the planet.
Join me by signing up for Earth Hour at www.EarthHour.org.
Impacts of Climate Change
Because of climate change, the loss of Arctic sea ice is destroying the habitats of polar bears and walruses, threatening their survival.
- Because of climate change, In the Caribbean, warmer temperatures are skewing gender ratios of sea turtles, undermining the stability of the species.
- Because of climate change winter sports such as skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing could become a thing of the past in many areas of the US.
- From trout fishing in Montana to waterfowl hunting in Arkansas, many recreational activities enjoyed by Americans are at risk from climate change.
- Most of us will experience climate change in the form of extreme weather: floods, droughts, heat waves and stronger storms and hurricanes.
- Globally, climate change is causing glacial melt, sea level rise, loss of Arctic sea ice, increased insect infestation, wider spread of diseases and extreme weather events.
Understanding your carbon footprint
- Most greenhouse gases are caused by the burning of fossil fuels for electricity generation and transportation.
- Deforestation is another major driver of climate change, responsible for more carbon pollution than the entire global transportation sector.
- A carbon footprint is a measure of the impact human activities have on the environment in terms of the amount of carbon pollution produced.
- Simple ways to reduce your carbon footprint include: walk more, use public transportation, only buy what you need and recycle.