Job Tracker 1
Posted 10/5/2011 11:00:19 AM
Research Scientist - Novel Expression Approaches for High Impact Protein Targets @ Denmark
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research (CPR) at the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, has been established to promote basic and applied discovery research on human proteins of medical relevance. The Center comprises a wide range of expertise and skills, from in silico target identification, proteomics, high-throughput protein production, chemical biology and disease biology to protein therapeutics. Currently, we have recruited >130 staff members to our research groups and staff functions, and expect to expand to around 150 scientists in the near future.
The Protein Production Unit (PPU) within the Facility for Protein Science and Technology is responsible for the establishment of an efficient, cost-effective and systematic approach to recombinant protein production and characterization. Thus, we are establishing a state-of-the-art team of scientists and technical staff (currently >15 staff members), dedicated to these tasks.
Our goal is to perform high-throughput and parallel approaches to produce and characterize a large number of human recombinant protein samples of biomedical relevance. Large scale protein expression, purification and characterization are key elements for the Center, as it allows us to produce proteins to be used in functional and structural studies. In addition, the Unit is focused on the facilitation of collaborations internally and externally, to further our knowledge of human and host-pathogen proteins involved in health and disease.
The successful candidate will work in the Eukaryotic Protein Expression Team, which is focused on expressing high quality human proteins from mammalian cell cultures, and in the Protein Purification Group, which is dedicated to protein purification and characterization.
- The post holder will report to the team leader of the Eukaryotic Expression Team (Ass. Prof. Giuseppe Cazzamali) and to the Head of the Protein Production Unit at CPR (Bjørn Voldborg).
- The post holder is expected to interact with staff at all levels, both internally and externally, regarding relevant research topics.
- To recombinantly express and purify human disease related proteins in medium to large scale from mammalian cells.
- To develop new and improve existing methodologies and technologies relating to large scale recombinant protein production, protein purification and characterization, with a particular emphasis on therapeutically relevant but technically challenging enzyme families, integral membrane proteins and multi-component protein complexes.
- To maintain and monitor large scale mammalian cell cultures.
- To evaluate and report experimental results and ensure that research data and protocols are entered into the Database and Electronic Lab Notebook systems established at the Center.
- To supervise students and technicians.
- This position has a methodological focus, but will be carried out within a strong network of functional collaborators.
Experience and Skills
- Excellence in protein biochemistry, in particular protein purification and characterization of recombinant proteins.
- Experience in advanced molecular biology methodologies, such as sub-cloning, vector design and site directed mutagenesis.
- Experience in recombinant protein expression using mammalian or equivalent cell systems.
- Cell culture (e.g. HEK293 in suspension culture).
- Good communication skills, both oral and written. Considering that the Center is a highly international research environment, excellent knowledge in English is required.
- Integrity, enthusiasm, motivation, flexibility, confidence and outstanding collaboration skills.
The closing date for applications is 14th October 2011.
For more details