Same Mechanism may control Male and Female Homosexuality

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
James Michael Howard
James Michael Howard's picture
Same Mechanism may control Male and Female Homosexuality

Same Mechanism Involved in Male and Female Homosexuality

Copyright 2004, James Michael Howard, Fayetteville, Arkansas, U.S.A.

In 1985, I first suggested male homosexuality results from reduced availability of DHEA in utero (copyrighted). (I learned later that DHEA is low, on average, in male homosexuals.) I think low DHEA in males in utero reduces "male" orientation because of low growth and development of the pertinent part of the brain. DHEA does affect growth of brain areas, even in adult song sparrows, when testosterone is low. DHEA stimulates "aggression and the size of an entire brain region [involved in male territorial song]" (Horm Behav 2002; 41: 203-12). Subsequently, I decided testosterone "intensifies" the effects of brain growth stimulated by DHEA. Therefore, if enough DHEA is present, the "hit" of testosterone produced by male fetuses accentuates the direction of sexuality established by DHEA. Female fetuses lack this "hit" of testosterone. (All of our brains are "female" until this occurs.) If a male fetus experiences low DHEA at the time of development of the pertinent part of the brain, the testosterone cannot change the orientation. When testosterone increases at puberty, the orientation is intensified and sexual activity corresponds with the direction established in utero.

Explaining female homosexuality eluded me until recently. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) is often (90%) associated with increased DHEA. It was recently reported that "among women with CAH, we found that recalled male-typical play in childhood correlated with reduced satisfaction with the female gender and reduced heterosexual interest in adulthood. Although prospective studies are needed, these results suggest that those girls with CAH who show the greatest alterations in childhood play behavior may be the most likely to develop a bisexual or homosexual orientation as adults and to be dissatisfied with the female sex of assignment." (J Sex Res 2004; 41: 78-81). I suggest this fits my hypothesis, that is, that increased DHEA in utero increases "male" orientation, growth and development of the pertinent part of the brain, in these girls. These girls are like boys in early play and later sexual orientation. The testosterone of puberty in these girls will simply intensify their orientation. Testosterone levels, on average, do not differ between heterosexual and homosexual women (Horm Behav 1987; 21: 347-57). The difference occurs in utero. (A male with extra DHEA in utero would simply have more "male" orientation.) No differences in CAH male childhood play or sexual orientation are found (J Sex Res 2004; 41: 75-81).

The same mechanism is in effect. Low DHEA in males in utero reduces "male" orientation and high DHEA in females in utero increases "male" orientation. These conditions are not chosen.

Donald Sweet
Donald Sweet's picture
I was looking in PubMed for

I was looking in PubMed for any research literature associating male homosexuality with low DHEA (keywords: homosexual AND DHEA yielded only seven hits), but all I found was a paper by Dorner and colleagues (Exp Clin Endocrinol. 1991;98(2):141-50.) that showed "highly significantly increased basal plasma levels of DHEA sulfate" were found in male-to-female transexual adults. Do you have a citation for your assertion that male homosexuals have lower DHEA? Would you please also cite your own 1985 work?

One other criticism I have of your hypothesis is that it predicts more male-like behavior with higher levels of DHEA, which are found in CAH patients. However, the level of homosexuality in men was equal, regardless of whether they had CAH (J Sex Res 2004; 41: 75-81). Any comments?

Thanks, Don

James Michael Howard
James Michael Howard's picture
Thank you for your interest.

Thank you for your interest. DHEA sulfate is the background source, from which the active molecule, DHEA, is converted. Significantly increased DHEAS, then, to me, indicates that DHEAS is not being converted. Hence, high DHEAS, because of lack of conversion, is a form of low DHEA. Therefore, I am not surprised to see high DHEAS in male-to-female transsexual adults. According to my hypothesis, this may be the cause of the female brain in these individuals. Please see: http://www.anthropogeny.com/Etiology%20of%20Male%20Homosexuality%20and%20Current%20Rise%20of%20Male%20Homo.htm for extra details. My 1985 work, which was copyrighted, is A Theory of the Control of the Ontogeny and Phylogeny of Homo sapiens by the Interaction of Dehydroepiandrosterone and the Amygdala. Look, this is my hypothesis; it is new and no one has examined my hypothesis in the laboratory and I cannot.

You need to re-read my original post. I said the effects of DHEA levels in utero may cause differential growth of the part of the brain involved in sexuality. too little in males may result in male homosexuality; too much in females may result in female homosexuality. Postnatally and especially at puberty, DHEA and testosterone act on those parts of the brain and affect the consequent behavior which was formed in utero. Again, thanks for the interest; my work is essentially ignored.

JoanneRoylat
JoanneRoylat's picture
The idea that females with

The idea that females with CAH are assigned the female sex is incorrect on your part or the part of which every micky mouse study you found this. Females with CAH are in fact females with overies,uterus,cervix and fallopion tuebes, there is no need to assign any sex,the sex is female as this is thier reprductive sex. Now, if your talking about what gender the femlaes with CAH would rather be thats another thing. But sex is [u]ALways determined on chromosones XX with internal reproductive possibilities and you are of the FEMALE sex not ASSIGNED female. When the female child is born the only real problem, apart from the possible SW, is the fact the the genitals to varying degrees may appear more to the male sex.

James Michael Howard
James Michael Howard's picture
lynnieburd wrote:SO what

lynnieburd wrote:

SO what would happen if homosexuals were given DHEA at an adult age?
would it do nothing? is it just a fetus thing?

In the past I came across an article dealing with DHEA levels in schizophrenia and homosexuality. If memory serves me correctly, these individuals were given DHEA. It helped the schizophrenics a lot and altered the sexual orientation of some of the homosexuals. I think the reference was Biol Psychiatry. 1973 Feb;6(1):23-36, which I do not have in hand at this moment. I must tell you however that I may have derived this from an article in the mid 1950s (which I do not have or cannot find at this writing.) I found both of these articles subsequent to my explanation of male homosexuality which I produced in 1985.

L B
L B's picture
HI

Hi, old post but do you think you can delete your reply that posts my quote? It's very old and i would rather it not there lol

James Michael Howard
James Michael Howard's picture
JoanneRoylat wrote:The idea

JoanneRoylat wrote:

The idea that females with CAH are assigned the female sex is incorrect on your part or the part of which every micky mouse study you found this. Females with CAH are in fact females with overies,uterus,cervix and fallopion tuebes, there is no need to assign any sex,the sex is female as this is thier reprductive sex. Now, if your talking about what gender the femlaes with CAH would rather be thats another thing. But sex is [u]ALways determined on chromosones XX with internal reproductive possibilities and you are of the FEMALE sex not ASSIGNED female. When the female child is born the only real problem, apart from the possible SW, is the fact the the genitals to varying degrees may appear more to the male sex.

I think you misinterpret that statement. I think it means that some of these CAH girls are dissatisfied with being called girls when they may feel more like boys.

SCainDO
SCainDO's picture
Thanks for all your indepth

Thanks for all your indepth studies of DHEA. Have you considered that perhaps issues of homosexuality may as well have something to do with mothers exposed to birthcontrol pills during that first 6 weeks of sexual differentiation? Possibly as well there may be some deleterious effect from the "pill" for up to 6 months on a developing egg since the PDR recommends and drug reps recommend we tell the users to NOT get pregnant for 6 months after the use of the pill to prevent unwanted developmental effects not to be talked about. The PDR even has category "X" for pill usage when pregnant which with the "X" one is recommended to consider recommneding terminating the pregnancy in the face of whatever the "X" agent is due to its terratogenicity.

I had thought perhaps the synthetic estrogen prevented the appropriate fetal testosterone expression with some feedback loop when it was so high in the circulating blood that the testosterone just got suppressed by some inhibition loop or overwhelmed in the face of the synthetic estrogen.

I do know there was discussion of all the male homosexuals being born and in relation to the "high" estrogen OrthoNovum with less androgenic components so much so they decided to overcome this "problem" or created situation by coming out with the "mini" pill which when I looked in the early to mid80's , it didn't lower the estrogen drastically but rather increased the norethindrone or androgenic component. My theory was that instead of stopping the male homosexuality of the first experiments of birth control one would start seeing an outcropping large trend from mothers using these new variations of bisexuality which it seems that has proven itself out to have increased at least in the groups of people I run into who aren't quite certain just what gender assignment they prefer. I have noted just about all the transexuals from early age who truly felt female trapped in a male body had mothers on the early high estrogen pills for the first month or so of gestation back in times when pregnancy wasn't so quickly testable as it has become over the last 20 years.

Do you happen to know the biochemistry of DHEAS converting over to DHEA itself as to which pathway may be getting blocked here?

Also one question I have with your theory is if DHEA being low makes you gay in males and macho in females then how is it heterosexual men use so much more mgs in supplements than the female counterparts. Wouldn't we want these "normal" men to use less than the females to not make them wild cave men types when this isn't what is seen when we do give it to them?

I have noticed if you gave DHEA, the levo form, to gay patients they did realize they were now hetero but I didn't think it was so much the increase in DHEA itself as it was their INTENT of wanting to be hetero when taking it driving it over to make more testosterone for this increase DHEA to drive into the cells. Meanwhile a transexual in process given DHEA instead of slowing progress, it slammed over into making estrogens and gynecomastia really bloomed. So either it was the INTENT or just what DHEA does around the synthetic estrogen his/her endocrinologist had him on raising the levels of available estrogen drastically more than already given. I believe I had read that chamelions changing colors or salamanders growing limbs had a surge of DHEA preceeding all this manifesting growing.

Also haven't you found also from heartmath foundation and therapeutic touch unarmoured information that focussing highest love and compassion RAISES immediately the DHEA levels if you draw the blood levels? Focussing and entraining bliss for a month raises DHGA 100%, lowers cortisol levels30% and grows the thymus 40% in a month's time and increases holding the bliss state and manifesting through synchronicity.

Isn't DHEA during pregnancy exceedingly high period for overall cellular growth period? I wonder how much intraamniotic DHEA is produced from the fetal adrenals who are living in essentially their own urine sac plus placental potential DHEA contribution and drinking it back in as compared to the DHEA levels contributed umbilically from the mother. Do you know if the placenta itself is responsible for that huge production of DHEA level flare present with gestation or is it generated from the fetus itself cycling its urine?

James Michael Howard
James Michael Howard's picture
Thank you for your response.

Thank you for your response. You raise a good point. Oral contraceptives do reduce DHEA, which I suggest may be the cause of increased cancer and thrombosis and other pathologies in OC users. Therefore, if low DHEA in utero is involved in changes in the brain that result in homosexuality, OC use may contribute.

After some thought about this, I have this in response. First, it is likely that OC use was discontinued prior to conception. (I am aware that it is not unknown that some OC users have conceived.) So, in the vast majority, the OC are not in the maternal blood stream to affect fetal brain development. Also, while I did not explained it in my original post, I think that testosterone periodically increases with populations during history. Therefore, periodically one should find evidence of increased homosexuality in history. There are indications of this increase in ancient Greece and Rome. These societies did not have oral contraceptives.

The information in your third paragraph is interesting. Please provide some data / references so I may examine them.

I think Biological Psychiatry. 1973 Feb;6(1):23-36 contains information about use of DHEA in schizophrenics who also were homosexual. (This may have been in an article from the mid 1950s which I have, somewhere, but cannot lay hands on at this time.) Anyway, the report found that the homosexual tendencies were reduced, significantly in some cases, if I remember properly, as the schizophrenia was also improved. I do not know if this group "wanted" to be less homosexual but it is very possible that this is a direct affect of the DHEA on growth and development of the part of the brain that had not developed fully in the men involved in the study.

I am also interested in reading the information about transsexuals and DHEA if you will provide it.

I have thought for years that personal attention and affection and touching increases DHEA. In fact years ago I produced the hypothesis that "failure to thrive" babies are helped by the cuddling and attention they receive because of increased DHEA. Failure to thrive babies have been found to thrive by simply being held and given lots of personal attention in hospitals. I would also like to know about studies which show DHEA increasing upon touching, etc. What you mention about cortisol and the thymus fit.

Most DHEA is present as the unconverted form, DHEAS. The active molecule is DHEA. The mother produces most of the DHEA. At birth DHEA increases dramatically; makes sense. The large bolus of active DHEA stimulates the brainstem of the neonate and literally brings it to life at the right time.

bebopninja
bebopninja's picture
I am currently researching in

I am currently researching in a legal capacity the possible role of naturally occurring reasons for transexuals. Would this mechanism in utero that affects homosexuality also be the same mechanism for gender confusion throughout life. I understand its a leap although you do mention the possibility for females the benefit for the courts would mean that psychological need to change sex could be made clearer by putting it in a clinical sense.

James Michael Howard
James Michael Howard's picture
bebopninja wrote:I am

bebopninja wrote:

I am currently researching in a legal capacity the possible role of naturally occurring reasons for transexuals. Would this mechanism in utero that affects homosexuality also be the same mechanism for gender confusion throughout life. I understand its a leap although you do mention the possibility for females the benefit for the courts would mean that psychological need to change sex could be made clearer by putting it in a clinical sense.

Thank you for your question. Since you say your question is "in a legal capacity," you should know that my work is not accepted; it is, in fact, mostly ignored. So, this may not really be of much use to you. However, since you asked, here is my answer.

I suggest "gender identity" is also determined by growth and development in utero in the same manner I suggest for homosexuality. Therefore, we should see a continuum of these two with pure heterosexuality and gender identity characteristic of the chromosomes at each end with mixtures therein. These should include all combinations; I think these all exist. Some "sets" of these differences in brain development may cause problems sufficient for an individual to desire change physically to "fit" their brain development. If this can be done, I think it should be supported and allowed.

If this is not the answer to your question, let me know.