NB Paraffin sections need to be cut at 10-15 for this technique.
1. Bring sections to distilled water.
2. Place sections in stain for 1 hour at room temperature (coplin jar).
3. Wash well in tap water.
4. Differentiate in 4% iron alum just long enough to distinguish the grey matter or the degenerated areas.
5. Wash well in several changes of distilled water.
6. Complete differentiation (clear up background) with Weigert's borax ferricyanide solution.
7. Wash well in several changes of distilled water, followed by tap water.
8. Dehydrate, clear . Mount sections in DPX
--Myelin - black
--Background - clear or yellow
--4% iron alum 300ml
--1% haematoxylin 300ml Weigert's borax ferricyanide differentiator
--Potassium ferricyanide 2.5g
--Distilled water 200ml