8m paraffin wax sections.
1. Solochrome Cyanin Solution
--Solochrome Cyanin RS 0.2g
--Distilled Water 96cm3
--10% Iron Alum 4cm3
--Concentrated Sulphuric Acid 0.5cm3 Add 0.5cm3 concentrated sulphuric acid to 0.2g solochrome cyanin RS in a flask. Stir well until the dye goes into solution. Add 96cm3 distilled water and 4cm3 10% aqueous iron alum. Mix and filter. The solution keeps well.
2. 5% Iron Alum
3. Borax-ferricyanide Differentiator.
--Potassium Ferricyanide 25g
--Distilled Water 2000ml
1. Take sections to water
2. Stain in solochrome cyanin solution for 20-30 minutes.
3. Wash in water until the sections turn blue.
4. Differentiate in 5% iron alum 5-10 minutes.
5. Complete the differentiation in borax-ferricyanide differentiator. (The myelin should be blue and the nuclei and background should be cream/white).
6. Dehydrate, clear . Mount sections in DPX
Myelin and red blood cells - Blue.
Nuclei and background - Colourless