Become a part of one of the most exciting educational developments of our time.
Nazarbayev University is a bold multi-billion dollar initiative to create a research university fit for the challenges of the 21st Century. Nazarbayev University is located in Astana, the new capital of Kazakhstan. The University operates a range of graduate and baccalaureate programs together with a Science and Innovation Park, 2 National Research Centers, 7 Hospitals and a Medical School. We work on a partnership model including 7 of the top-30 universities across the world to advance education, research and engagement with industry and society. We want to redefine people’s expectations of what contemporary higher education should be.
We offer the chance to work in one of the most rapidly developing countries in the world. Astana is a family-friendly modern capital and the University is an outstandingly architected example of a campus environment. We offer an excellent pay and benefits package including generous home leave, high-quality accommodation and family-friendly policies for health-care and children’s education.
Further information pertaining to the post can be found at: http://www.perrettlaver.com/microsite/nu/
Applications including a resume and a brief (no more than 4 pages) statement about how you would approach the role should uploaded towww.perrettlaver.com/microsite/nu/by noon GMT on Friday 3rd April, quoting the relevant reference number above.
As Professor at Nazarbayev University, the appointee will report to the Dean of the School of Medicine and will be responsible for:
- Conducting high quality research in their field of expertise and publish such research widely;
- applying for and attaining research grants and funding as appropriate for their field of research;
- attending relevant international conferences and developing broad networks;
- mentoring junior faculty and students to develop their research, grant applications and publications;
- assisting in the development of research Strategy in the relevant department and School.
- Teaching postgraduate courses in their field of their expertise;
- engaging in course and program development when necessary;
- serving on and chairing Masters and PhD committees as needed;
- encouraging the development of innovative approaches to course design and delivery and ensuring that teaching design and delivery comply with the quality and educational standards and regulations of the department;
- challenging thinking, fostering debate and developing the students ability to engage in critical discourse and rational thinking.
- Performing informal management duties at the level of the Department, the School and the University;
- fostering the development of a vibrant and productive research culture in his or her field;
- serving on various committees at the School and University level.
Internal / External Engagement
- Developing and maintaining active networks, internally and externally, nationally and internationally;
- nurturing consultancy and research relationships with commerce, industry and in other external relationships including those with international collaborators, with professional and practitioner bodies, with policy communities, and with government agencies;
- actively contributing to developing academic, educational and research excellence in Kazakhstan.
As Professor of Medicine in the School of Medicine, the appointee will also be responsible for:
- Conducting leading research in the field of Medicine;
- playing an active role in the growth and development of the School regarding mentoring, leadership, morale and capacity building.
Candidates for a Professorial position at Nazarbayev University must have the following experience, skills, qualification and attributes:
- Earned doctorate in a relevant field;
- an international reputation and visibility in his/her field of research;
- publishing regularly in leading academic journals;
- experience of mentoring junior faculty / a record of PhD supervision or equivalent;
- a collegiate approach and active contributor to the Schools development;
- strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- a strong reputation for delivering high quality taught programmes;
- experience acquiring research funding from a variety of sources (including industry, national funding and University funding).
As Professor of Medicine in the School of Medicine, the appointee should also demonstrate:
- MD or equivalent qualifications;
- a world-leading publication record in relevant top-tier journals relating to clinical research in the field of Medicine;
- experience, enthusiasm and vision for curriculum development and teaching of medical students;
- extensive experience teaching medical students.