RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Position #118070)
Non-Tenure Track Faculty
The Department of Nutrition and Food Science (NFSC) at the University of Maryland College Park is seeking an individual to work as a member of a team of food safety scientists and risk assessors. The successful candidate will work on the development of an exposure assessment and a transfer model for Salmonella in dry pet food. The main objective of the project is to create a comprehensive model that captures the major steps and risk factors that affect the potential contamination of dry pet food with Salmonella enterica; from raw ingredients, through production of finished products, to utilization of the product in the home. The model will serve as a reference for the development of a risk-based Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) plan. Opportunities will exist to participate in other food safety risk assessments and related research and professional activities.
• Develop a quantitative exposure model for the likelihood that selected dry pet food could be a vehicle for Salmonella enterica.
• Develop a quantitative transfer model to estimate the likelihood of transferring salmonellae to humans as a result of consumers’ handling dry pet food.
• Participate as a member of NFSC, the Center for Food Safety and Security Systems (CFS3), the Joint Institute of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (JIFSAN) in interdisciplinary research, education, and outreach programs related to food safety risk assessments.
• Participate and prepare research reports, grant proposals, and journal publications.
• A Ph.D. or equivalent degree in an area of science, engineering, or related discipline relevant to food safety and/or risk assessment modeling.
• Professional background in science, engineering, epidemiology, applied mathematics or statistics, or other discipline relevant to food safety and/or modeling.
• Strong background in developing models for quantitative risk assessment.
• Demonstrated communications skills to clearly present ideas, reports, recommendations, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work within strict deadlines both individually and as part of a risk assessment team.
• Training/research in quantitative microbial risk assessment methods associated with food safety, food processing, or food defense.
• Prior experience working with risk analysis and statistical software. Experience in @Risk and/or MATLAB is highly desirable.
Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and professional experience. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
To apply go to: https://jobs.umd.edu, click on FACULTY and select position number118070. Applicants should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, academic transcripts (unofficial copy acceptable for application process), and the names and contact information of three professional references (including mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address). Job Posting Quicklink: https://jobs.umd.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=56852
Closing Date: For best consideration, apply by June 15, 2012. This position is available immediately and available until an acceptable candidate is identified.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Nutrition and Food Science
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Deadline: Contact employer