Location: Mölndal, Sweden
Salary: Competitive + excellent benefits (£k - £k for search optimisation only)
The next generation of medicines.
How will you take them even further?
At AstraZeneca, we’re constantly striving to make new discoveries. Discoveries that will make a meaningful difference to health globally. We already have an exceptional product pipeline, and everyone here has a part to play in making sure that pipeline fulfils its potential. This is your opportunity to join them – and to fulfil your own.
We have an exciting opportunity for a PhD scientist to embark on basic research in the area of mitochondrial metabolism and its potential link to toxicity and cell death. The goal of the research is to understand the fundamental role of key mitochondrial oxidative enzymes and their potential link to cell toxicity. This work will contribute to our understanding of the oxidative metabolism of drug compounds and their potential for toxicity.
Your activities will focus on isolating and characterizing drug metabolizing CYP 450s associated with mitochondria metabolism and developing in vitro systems to separate mitochondrial biotransformation from that in other cell compartments. These models will then be used to test the metabolism and potential cell toxicity of a range of model drugs. Your novel research results will be communicated externally through publications and scientific conferences. The work will be highly cross functional across DMPK, Safety Assessment and Bioscience giving you an exposure to different disciplines and to pharmaceutical drug discovery. This opportunity will also strongly support interactions and collaborations through the academic field including working with the research group of your academic supervisor.
Your major responsibilities
• Design and conduct novel research to investigate the role of drug metabolism in mitochondria for compounds showing cell toxicity
• Interact and collaborate with scientists across internal disciplines as well as with external experts
• Publish scientific papers and attend conferences to communicate novel findings to the research community.
• Receive advanced training to enhance professional skills and research independence; acquire in-depth understanding of the basic research and drug discovery fields to develop ideas for future career pursuit
• A PhD in cell and molecular biology
• Excellent skills in mammalian cell culture and transfection techniques
• Excellent skills in plasmid constructions and generation of transient/stable cell lines
• Experience in subcellular fractionation and immunological techniques
• Experience and understanding of cell toxicity and assay development
• Understanding of the mechanisms related to apoptosis
• Ability to design and carry out research independently
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Ability to work effectively and collegially with colleagues and initiate collaboration
AstraZeneca – Health Connects Us All
As one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies, our business is focused on providing innovative, effective medicines that make a real difference in important areas of healthcare. What’s more, we support and encourage our people in discovering their own potential. Excellent learning and development opportunities will be available to you throughout your career here.
AstraZeneca welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP
Deadline: April 29th 2013