Location: Mölndal, Sweden
Salary: Competitive + excellent benefits (£k - £k for search optimisation only)
The next generation of medicines.
How will you take them even further?
At AstraZeneca, we’re constantly striving to make new discoveries. Discoveries that will make a meaningful difference to health globally. We already have an exceptional product pipeline, and everyone here has a part to play in making sure that pipeline fulfils its potential. This is your opportunity to join them – and to fulfil your own.
We have an exciting opportunity for you to perform academic, cutting-edge research in an industrial setting at Discovery Sciences, Reagents and Assay Development in Mölndal. You’ll perform interdisciplinary research and have the opportunity to work with research scientists across our different capabilities and with external collaborators. The proposed project is expected to lead to high-quality publications and you’ll be encouraged to present the results of your work both internally and at international scientific meetings throughout the program.
The FAM3 superfamily, including the secreted FAM3B PANDER and FAM3C ILEI proteins, are an emerging class of drug targets involved in glucose homeostasis and cancer. Recent in-house data show that PANDER exhibit an unexpected novel non-cytokine-like fold, indicating that the FAM3 superfamily might represent an entirely new class of signalling molecules. The aim of the postdoctoral project is to investigate the function of PANDER by mode of action studies in cell-based assays and by identification of receptors through a new and exciting cross-linking technology as well as by protein crystallography. You’ll work in an interdisciplinary environment with state of the art cell, protein, structure and mass spectrometry facilities.
Your major responsibilities
• Establish cell-based assays, including a PANDER glucose production assay
• Perform cross-linking experiments based on the recently published TRICEPs technology and deconvolution of data using mass spectrometry based methods
• Analysis of effect of PANDER mutants in biochemical and cell-based assay
• A recent PhD in cellular biology, biochemistry or molecular biology
• Strong track record of working with mammalian cell cultures, including functional characterization of cells and practical understanding of cell-based assay development and optimization
• Experience from proteomics/mass spectrometry/recombinant protein production
• Strong scientific track record as supported by published or accepted papers in well recognized peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific meetings
• Strong passion and commitment to science and ability to work well in a multidisciplinary team
• Diabetes or oncology expertise
• Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
• Proven ability to independently design/execute incisive experiments and interpret results
AstraZeneca – Health Connects Us All
As one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies, our business is focused on providing innovative, effective medicines that make a real difference in important areas of healthcare. What’s more, we support and encourage our people in discovering their own potential. Excellent learning and development opportunities will be available to you throughout your career here.
AstraZeneca welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP
For more details