Functional Area: Human Resources
Other States: N/A
Field/Home based position: No
Search Band: Band 3
Department: Payroll Services
The senior position is responsible for assisting the Payroll Operations Manager in managing the daily activities of work performed by the Payroll Operations staff. Responsibilities include the accurate and timely administration of a large (8000+ employees) multiple pay frequency, multiple legal entity, multiple state payroll process. Responsibilities also include handling complex issues such as Worker’s compensation, deceased employee processing, international employees, executive compensation payments, and tax reconciliation’s. Additionally, position is responsible for playing significant role in year-end planning and processing. Demonstrating team leadership and supporting a teamwork environment is essential.
• Oversees and ensures payroll deadlines are met and payroll support staff responsibilities are accomplished timely and according to Payroll Operations procedures.
• Ensures payments are processed within regulatory guidelines and company policies.
• Supports, coaches, develops and evaluates staff of 4 payroll professional direct reports.
• Supports the Payroll Operations Manager in providing leadership for supporting a positive work environment.
• Ensures payroll is executed in accordance with SOX controls at all times.
• Trains new payroll operations staff.
• Reviews processes, identifies areas for improvement and recommends changes that result in increased accuracy and efficiency.
• Ensure all federal, state and local tax and labor agency compliance requirements are met.
• Create and transmit direct deposit and positive pay files to bank.
• Reconcile direct deposit returns.
• Process reversal/adjustments or manual tax adjustments.
• Administer deceased employee pay processing in accordance with tax guidelines.
• Handle all Compensation and Executive Compensation requests.
• Prepare off-cycle calendars.
• Effectively interpret employee pay earnings and tax records to ensure accurate processing of all W-2 information. Review, analyze and complete W-2 corrections as requested.
• Assists Payroll Operations Manager in defining schedule for processing monthly, quarterly, annual, and other incentive payments
• Assists Payroll Operations Manager with the creation of payroll processing calendars for all paygroups into PeopleSoft annually.
• Supports Payroll Operations Manager in planning and executing all year-end related tasks including preparation of the year-end schedule.
• Collaborate effectively with HR, Benefits, Compensation and IT to ensure timely receipt of all external payroll source documents according to established deadlines and schedules. Evaluate documents for appropriate action and perform function to initiate accurate payments to employees. Understanding of HR Policies is needed.
• Work with the HR Call Center staff to assist in the timely and accurate resolution of employee inquires. Respond and resolve employee issues in a timely fashion.
• Provide payroll support to Expatriate Services and Deloitte for proper and accurate administration of Inpatriate/Expatriate employee population.
• Partner with third party insurers to administer worker’s compensation payments – must be knowledgeable of state workers compensation laws.
• Maintain updated payroll/tax information on website and assist with self-service site applications
• Provide assistance with special projects
• Other duties as assigned when necessary
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance or 5 years of business/related experience
• 5 – 6 years of significant in-depth payroll knowledge including qualified and non-qualified deferrals, stock options, restricted share programs, relocation, international assignment pay/imputed income, garnishments and dependent care
• Thorough understanding of federal, state, and local tax as well as Department of Labor regulations
• Proficient in Microsoft Office
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experience with automated payroll systems
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to work in fast-paced environment
• Strong demonstration of skills in the following areas:
- Analytical and problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Organization and time management
- Customer service
- Deadline oriented
• Ability to collaborate with others to achieve desired business results
• Prior experience with large, multi-state employer
• Experience partnering with teams
• Supervisory experience
• Experience with PeopleSoft HR/Payroll v8.9
• Certified Payroll Professional designation, (CPP)